[open-economics] Open Oil Contract Modelling Outreach to Financial Modellers

Stefanie Heerwig stefanie.heerwig at openoil.net
Thu Oct 10 07:27:43 UTC 2013

Dear Open Economics Group,

We are a Berlin-based consultancy and publisher in the extractive industry
transparency sector and we are currently working on building up local
expertise on oil contract modelling. The basic idea is to take oil
contracts, use their fiscal terms and conditions and build models that
allow an as close as possible estimate of the government and company take
of oil projects.

We have already developed a model which is going to be published soon under
a creative commons license (much like your fundamental stock valuation open
platform). As part of this work, we also published an opensource book on
how to read and understand oil
contracts<http://openoil.net/contracts-booksprint/> which
was already downloaded 40.000 times.

For our contract modelling we have potential partners in seven African and
Asian countries as of now and we are just starting our
outreach<http://goxi.org/profiles/blogs/openoil-is-looking-for-partners-to-analyse-oil-contracts-around?xg_source=activity>
get more organisations involved. All resulting models will be published
under a creative commons licence and as a result of our work with the local
organisations.

To stress test our models we are now looking for experienced financial
modellers. Petroleum industry expertise would be appreciated, but a general
expertise in financial modelling is enough!

If you are interested, we are recruiting people to have a look at the first
model when it comes out. Just contact stefanie.heerwig at openoil.net with
details of your affiliation.

Best,

Stefanie