[open-economics] New comer

Gustavo Silva gustavosantaremsilva at gmail.com
Sun Dec 28 02:50:12 UTC 2014

Hello everyone,

My name is Gustavo, I am 22 years old and I am reaching you from Portugal.
I found out about Open Knowledge from a friend that is contributing to
another department. However, I was interested in Open Knowledge's concepts
and principles and eventually bumped into the economics section.
I am currently finishing a master's degree in Industrial and Firms
Economics, in University of Minho, Portugal and have a bachelor's degree in
Bank and Insurance management.

I took a look to the current active projects in this group and I am not
sure how can I contribute to most of them. I admit that I am not great at
data treatment but it is also necessary for many reasons. I guess this is a
great opportunity to learn how to do it with someone that already knows how
- if the need comes up and someone is willing to mentor me. Nevertheless, I
do like reading data and interpret it.
Since I am not sure how can I help, I will write down what I love to do and
would love to contribute and maybe you guys can address me the right work
group/people.
I am truly passionate about financial markets, strategy and management.
Economics is a big part of my life too, due to my master and also some
economics courses I had in college. Besides, all those 3 topics are usually
combined with economics to analyse a lot of things - for instance, there
are a lot of interpretations about the strategic interactions between firms
and within firms. Nevertheless, I do believe that economics can help
explaining certain behaviors and given variables. That's its purpose,
right? There is still its small, but really needed, beauty.
If you see I could fit in any group in these 3 topics, please let me know.
If there is not anything that specific, please throw your projects on the
table and I will see if I can help you.

One more thing: I tried emailing economics at okfn.org about a recent case
about a Portuguese bank/financial group that went bankrupt but it was
returned shortly after - By the way, where can I send that information? Is
that email address working?

I also would like to ask if you guys use IRC. If so, could you tell me the
right network and proper channels? If not, how do you communicate
frequently, aside from the mailing list?

Thank you for your time!
I apologize for my English but please understand that it is not my native
language. I tried my best.

Hope to hear from you soon!
--
Best Regards / Obrigado e com os melhores cumprimentos,
Gustavo