[open-economics] Econ Factbook

Gustavo Silva gustavosantaremsilva at gmail.com
Sun Aug 16 19:05:14 UTC 2015

Hello all,

Well, I agree that the world you benefit form better websites to access
data. The problem is the credibility these things can get, which are
crucial for actually being used.

>From where I see it, the problem is about automation. How will you keep the
contents and databases updated? In a secondary perspective, what can you do
to increase the credibility of your website? Indeed, allowing users the
possibility to escalate the data for custom usages - hence, API related
stuff - is a great step, but how will economists from the academic world
will use and benefit from this?

In Portugal, we have something similar called Pordata
<http://www.pordata.pt/> and I know for sure that no one from the academic
worlds wants his students to use data from this website. Why? They say it
is not the original source, even though that entire interface is way better
and more useful that Eurobarometer
<http://ec.europa.eu/public_opinion/index_en.htm>or national banks
websites/databases.
This is just an example for you to consider if you want, of course :-)

Best Regards / Obrigado e com os melhores cumprimentos,
Gustavo Silva

*Phonebloks <https://phonebloks.com/en>, Partnership Manager*
*Lubuntu W&D <https://launchpad.net/%7Elubuntu-wiki-docs>, Team Leader*