[open-economics] Econ Factbook

Alex Peek alexpeek1 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 02:05:58 UTC 2015

Hi Gustavo and Rodney,

Thanks Gustavo for showing me the  Pordata <http://www.pordata.pt/> website.
Looks like a great website that has consolidated a ton of valuable data
about Portugal.

Thank you Rodney for mentioning FRED. FRED is an awesome website also win a
ton of valuable data. My only problem is that they do not have country
specific pages.

The inspiration for Econ Factbook <http://econfactbook.org/> was to
organize economic statistics into format shows the circular flow of income
model <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circular_flow_of_income>. There is a
section for Households, Corporations, Government, Financial Institutions,
the Central Bank and International Accounts. I believe that economic data
should be organized according to the circular flow of income model because
to enables the reader to intuitively understand the data easier.
Structuring economic data into a format consistent with the circular flow
of income model enables greater transparency to an economy. To my
knowledge, no website has ever attempted to do this. I also want to apply
the circular flow of income model to states and cities to improve local
economic data transparency.

Econ Factbook is designed for economists who want to look at all of the
structurally important economic statistics about a location. It's far
easier to do research about the economy of Finland
<http://econfactbook.org/Finland.html> on Econ Factbook than by going to
FRED <https://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/release?rid=239> or the World
Bank Indicators <http://data.worldbank.org/indicator>. It's faster and more
effective to use Econ Factbook. Having all the data on a single page is
very useful.

The goal for Econ Factbook is be like Wikipedia in the sense that nobody
references Wikipedia directly, but everyone uses it for fast research.
Ideally, an international organization will want to adopt Econ Factbook to
ensure the website is completely accurate and up to date. Until that
happens my plan is to hire a programmer to help me automate the website and
set up an API. Getting widespread usage of Econ Factbook is a long term
goal but it is certainly something that needs to happen. Economic data
needs to be more transparent.

Once again, to see the full format, please check out the United States
<http://econfactbook.org/Unitedstates.html> article. This is the internet's
most comprehensive page showing data about the  U.S. economy.

Thanks for reading my message and I would love answer any questions. It's
very hard to explain abstract ideas like this and I hope I can spread my
message to more people.

Thank you,

- Alex