[open-economics] Comparative study about Open Data

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Tue Nov 10 11:14:47 UTC 2015

Hi Rosamaria,

Strongly suggest posting in the forum:
https://discuss.okfn.org/c/policy-research

In general, we are moving from lists to the forum!

Rufus

On 10 November 2015 at 10:27, Rosamaria Bitetti <rosamaria.bitetti at okfn.org>
wrote:

> Hello everyone!,
>

> My name is Rosamaria Bitetti and I am a researcher at Luiss University, in
> Rome, and a member of the OKFN open economics working group (silent for a
> while).
> I am looking for expert opinions to answer a survey about the vitality of
> the Open Data environment in several countries, and I would really
> appreciate if you could spare a few minutes of your time to answer it, or
> forward it to other experts in your country.
>

> You can take the survey by following this link:
> http://goo.gl/forms/eicvOcUQwW
>

> *Longer explanation:*
>
> I am working on a comparative study about the Open Data ecosystem in
> different countries, with the belief that while the government has an
> important role in opening up its database, the open government culture is
> developed in a broader ecosystem, in which the civil society, meaning
> economic actors, research centers and intellectual entrepreneurs play a
> vital role in elaborating data into information and making them meaningful
> and useful for the rest of the society. Third-party elaboration has indeed
> an intrinsic value, because civil society can contribute to a better public
> debate with an independent creation of information and knowledge. But it
> also allows for a faster elaboration of data into information, since
> non-governmental actors have more flexibility in updating their
> technologies and better display information. Finally, citizens have larger
> opportunities to engage in the public debate with fact-based opinions. The
> open policy ecosystem can be described with two directional channels for
> the information to run: top-down, from the government to the citizens, or
> conversely bottom-up.
>
> While is relatively easier to track the top-down channel (the open data
> index does a great job at that http://index.okfn.org/) I am trying to
> assess whether there is civil society involvement: if apps are developed by
> third parties, if the general public uses them, and even harder, if
> politicians use its feedback.
>

> You can read more in the survey, and if you leave your email will keep you
> updated about my research. Thank you so much in advance!
>
> --
> *---*
> Rosamaria Bitetti
> my LinkedIn profile <http://it.linkedin.com/in/rmbitetti>
>
> Open Economics Working Group @OKFN <http://openeconomics.net/>
> Yourtopia Italy Project <http://italia.yourtopia.net/>
>
> Cell.  +39 320 6275664
> Skype: rosamaria.bitetti

*Rufus PollockFounder and President | +44 07795 176 976 | skype:
rufuspollock | @rufuspollock <https://twitter.com/rufuspollock>Open
Knowledge International <http://okfn.org/> - A world where knowledge
creates power for the many, not the few**http://okfn.org/
<http://okfn.org/> | @okfn <http://twitter.com/OKFN> | Open Knowledge on