[open-economics] free international economic database

Alex Peek alexpeek1 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 05:00:11 UTC 2016

Hi Thomas,

I really think you have the right idea. There certainly needs to be a
'simplified retrieval of macroeconomic data'. I am impressed with the data
sources and it shows that you know what exists out there for macroeconomic
data. I also know these websites and I know that they are not easy use.
There clearly needs to be a better solution.

My website is econfactbook.org has the same mission to 'simplify the
retrieval of macroeconomic data'. The focus of the website is to
consolidate the 35 most structural macroeconomic statistics onto a single
page for every country in the world (roughly 35 statisitcs). Please check
out the United States article to see the full developed format
<http://econfactbook.org/>. I also want to apply this format to every state
and city int he world also (eventually once the data is freely available).

The idea is to provide just the basic, most important statistics rather
than overflow the reader with too many statistics.

Anyways, I know my website is starting to be outdated (data from
2012-2013), but I made it to show my idea for how I think economic data
should be shown to citizens as a public good. I believe in the future, a
format like this will be used for citizens to access the government budget
for their hometown (since now, this data is very hard to access). Basically
my goal s to make the world more transparent in regards to economic
activity.

Anyways sorry for the long message, but I would really appreciate if we
could discuss this further.  My goal is to have econfactbook.org be
automatically using bots. Maybe your website can help with this??? Gustavo
Silva has been helping me the most in this regard so far.

- Alex