[Open-education] Intro / SlideWiki is open-source

Sören Auer auer at cs.uni-bonn.de
Tue Oct 1 10:38:58 UTC 2013

Dear all,

First of all a brief intro: I'm Sören Auer [1], now teaching Enterprise
Information Systems at Uni Bonn [2] and leading a research group at
Fraunhofer IAIS [3]. Previously I started and led AKSW research group
[4] in Leipzig. I'm very excited about Open Education and think opening
education is one of the areas with the greatest potential.

To faciitate Open Education, we developed the collaborative
OpenCourseWare authoring platform SlideWiki, which is available at
http://SlideWiki.org and as open-source software under the permissive
Apache open-source license from the AKSW Github repository at:

https://github.com/AKSW/SlideWiki

The SlideWiki database dumps are also available at:
http://slidewiki.org/db/

SlideWiki.org is a platform for OpenCourseWare authoring and enables
communities of educators to author, share and re-use multilingual
educational content in a truly collaborative way (SlideWiki supports
semi-automatic translation of content into more than 50 languages). By
completely open-sourcing SlideWiki and giving the community access to
all the content we aim at:

* Providing open access to crowdsourced e-learning material to be
authored, shared and reused.
* Collaborating with other open-source projects to improve the quality
of SlideWiki implementation.
* Inviting developers to openly contribute to SlideWiki and to write
customized plugins and themes for SlideWiki.
* Providing offline access to SlideWiki system.

More information about SlideWiki features can be found here:

http://slidewiki.org/documentation

On behalf of SlideWiki team,
Ali Khalili, Darya Tarasowa and Sören Auer

[1] http://www.informatik.uni-leipzig.de/~auer/
[2] http://eis.iai.uni-bonn.de
[3] htttp://www.iais.fraunhofer.de
[4] http://aksw.org