[Open-education] 2nd Open Education Booksprint, 22 November, Berlin

Marieke Guy marieke.guy at okfn.org
Thu Oct 24 14:22:03 UTC 2013

Dear All,

The Open Knowledge Foundation as part of the LinkedUp Project
<http://linkedup-project.eu/>and on behalf of the Open Education Working
Group will be hosting our second Open Education Handbook booksprint and
we'd really like you to participate.
http://education.okfn.org/second-open-education-handbook-booksprint/

We have already held an initial event
<http://education.okfn.org/open-education-handbook-booksprint/> pulling
together some ideas for the handbook and beginning to structure content.
This second event will consider the questions the audience of the
handbook will ask and whether what we have so far truly answers those
questions. So for example: what are the real benefits of creating an
Open Educational Resource (OER)?  How can data about open education lead
to changes in open education policy? Where have open badges been used
effectively? ...

Note that the handbook and the booksprint will be in English, though we
are very interested in collaborating with people who would like to
translate the handbook.

This second booksprint is a one-day (10am - 4pm) event to be held at the
Wikimedia Deutschland office <http://www.wikimedia.de/wiki/Hauptseite>,
Berlin on Friday 22nd November 2013. During the booksprint participants
will be involved in group discussions, constructing questions, agreeing
on chapter themes, negotiating with others on concepts and hopefully
coming up with some agreement on basic definitions!

Note that most booksprints aim to write a book in under 5 days! We'll be
taking a slightly less pressurised approach and will be drafting the
handbook over a longer time period of time (delivering a final version
next year). The handbook is also one of the first activities of the Open
Education Working Group <http://education.okfn.org/>.

Lunch and refreshments will be provided.

If you are interested in being involved in this important initiation
event then please register on the EventBrite page:
https://openeducationbooksprint2.eventbrite.co.uk- If you know of any
people working in open education who would be interested in attending
then please forward this message on. Note that all those who take part
in the handbook booksprints will given attribution (using names and
affiliations) in the about section of the handbook.

I look forward to seeing you at the booksprint.

Thanks

Marieke

--

Marieke Guy