[Open-education] Social Media in Education

Pat Lockley patrick.lockley at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 4 17:24:38 UTC 2014

Hello all,

A lot of the social constructivist approach to pedagogy uses social media,
or networking at least to facilitate this. Social constructivism works on
the basis that the network between people aids learning and that students
can teach each other and so on. There is thinking behind this is that using
a more mesh topology means a course structure in this way could expand and
become massive but without suffering from a lack of teaching as may occur
in bigger MOOCs (such as coursera). This partially underpins the cMOOC /
xMOOC distinction.

ds106, etcmooc, phonar and cck08 are good places to start looking.

Open - well is making it a requirement open, or is it topologically more
open because it is easier to join

hope this helps

Pat