[Open-education] open-education Digest, Vol 9, Issue 13

Darco Jansen darco.jansen at eadtu.eu
Sat Apr 26 21:05:05 UTC 2014

Hi,

Nice blog and figure Megan. I agree with your statement about OER and to need to break them up, e.g. to re-use and re-purpose them for different settings.

At OpenupEd we apply an open licensing policy not only to educational content. This goes beyond OER. At this moment the OpenupEd partners are discussing to possibilities to apply open licensing to a complete MOOC. I.e.
- Open licensing of course material (OER)
- License on tests/exams
- License of educational software in the course platforms (open software)
- License on data and content produced in MOOCs (open data + open license to content / ideas produced by MOOC participants)
- License complete course(design)
Such that a complete online course can be break down into pieces for re-use in different settings (e.g. languages, cultural setting, local case studies, etc.). But this is a hard one also for HEIs already long involved in OER. And it might take some time to be effective. Any suggestions / tips from subscribers of this list are welcome.

In the end it comes down to the reasons why we also should apply an open license to all course components including the overall design. And that for institutions (and some academics) it also comes down to the 5th R: Retain. See also blog of David Wiley introducing 5Rs (See http://opencontent.org/blog/archives/3221 )

And yes André, we must advocate a decentralised (and free & open) alternatives. At OpenupEd we are trying to embrace that, while other MOOC players are trying to globalise/centralise it.

Best wishes,
Darco