[Open-education] open-education Digest, Vol 9, Issue 18

Andre Jaenisch ryunoki at openmailbox.org
Mon Apr 28 15:41:34 UTC 2014

Am 26.04.2014 17:54, schrieb Thomas Salmon:
> I would say that in order to help create more discussion it would be
> useful to try to create a schedule for the conversations, or a calendar.
> One with a few topics in advance that people have expressed an interest
> to discuss.

I'd opt for exporting calendar events as .ics
(https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/exporting-and-sharing-a-calendar#w_exporting-a-calendar-under-thunderbird-and-lightning)
and share them as attachment. Alternatively, it should be doable to
setup a WebDAV server on okfn.org (could you ask the technical teams,
Marieke)?

> We could have it as an open Google doc to be edited and topics can be
> added, or with a survey online via email.

I won't follow links to Google Doc. Sorry. On the one hand it's the
wrong tool for it, on the other hand it's from Google. I'm pushing hard
to reduce my dependency from big companies.

> I am a fan of silent Etherpading. Just saying that one Friday is the day
> to drop some ideas onto an Etherpad and drop the questions onto it too
> (sending out the link on Friday). Then you can have a dedicated time
> organised to chat using the Etherpad chat function alongside. It is
> possible to talk also using Vidyo http://www.vidyo.com/ if you want to
> have a face to face alongside the Etherpad.

Vidyo is proprietary and not available for my distro, though there's a
GNU/Linux binary, but it is Ubuntu-only.

> I like the idea of a fun Friday meeting, and it is always good to spread
> the discussion out in ways that it can be accessible both by people
> afterwards and also by people on twitter or just in text format or later
> on using the Etherpad.

Etherpad is not accessible for screenreaders (iframe in an iframe and
much JavaScript magic). Sadly. I don't have an alternative at hand either.

> It is also easy to annotate an Etherpad and to add to ideas people have
> already put down synchronously or asynchronously.
>
> Best
> Thomas Salmon

No offense, Thomas!
I just like to annotate suggestions from a technical point of view, okay? :)

Best regards

André