[Open-education] Wikimania 2014: Wikipedia belongs in Education

leutha at fabiant.eu leutha at fabiant.eu
Wed Aug 13 12:53:05 UTC 2014

Hi all,

One of the Wikimania  sessions I really enjoyed  Informed but unempowered
<http://wikimania2014.wikimedia.org/wiki/Submissions/Informed_but_unempowered>
was given by Mako Hill.

Check his academic page <http://mako.cc/academic/> to download a pdf of his
Almost Wikipedia: What eight early online collaborative encyclopedia projects
reveal about the mechanisms of collective action.

He uses Resource Mobilization Theory in the context of an environment where
"many peer production projects leave behind “digital traces” in the form of
publicly available archival data. These data are of scope and scale that was
unavailable to previous scholars of mobilization. This more complete record
allows researchers to explore nascent attempts at movements that did not succeed
in attracting any additional participants or that attracted participants but did
not accomplish their initial goals."

This looks like an interesting approach to the problem outlined below, and the
more we are able to produce comparable data sets about projects the easier it
will be to develop more effective models of resource mobilisation.

all the best

Leutha