[Open-education] Is there still an OER movement? and what should it be called?

Paul Bacsich (Sero) paul.bacsich at sero.co.uk
Fri Aug 22 14:27:29 UTC 2014

Hi Lorna

I think you and I are singing from the same song sheet – but I find in my travels that the phrase “open education movement” tends to give problems when people try to check what is in – and, more importantly, what is not in -  the concept.

We had the same kind of difficulty with “open educational practices” a couple of years ago. One person got rather irritated in a workshop and in desperation said “it’s about using Moodle”.

Actually I prefer the EU phrase “opening up education” which EU DG Education & Culture proposed in 2013 - as it is deliberately vague, suggests a process not an end-point, and is designed to have no rigid boundary. However, it has not got much traction, even in Europe, and even among those “in receipt of the EU’s euro”.

It’s also worth reminding people that in some countries there has been for years a strong “flexible learning” movement with a different set of antecedents – they can be rather critical of open education, at least as delivered by open universities. (Historians should note that three entities were started in the UK by the “movement” that set up the UKOU – including the National Extension College (even earlier than the UKOU) and the Open College of the Arts – both more open, many would say, than the UKOU was, then at least.)

I think the flexible learning movement needs to be in the timeline at http://timemapper.okfnlabs.org/okfnedu/open-education-timeline -  the disconnect continues to this day. I certainly include them in “opening up education”.

Paul