[Open-education] Is there still an OER movement? Germany

Markus Deimann markus.deimann at fernuni-hagen.de
Fri Aug 22 15:39:13 UTC 2014

Hi Paul and all,

since I am from Germany, I am happy to comment on Paul's statement.

You are absolutely right, things are changing but it is a long process
and so far there have been several bottom-up approaches to open
education. Top-down approaches have still not been advanced although
there is some interest from political bodies but they are reluctant to
go ahead with OER initiatives.

This week I was part of a small group invited by Wikimedia Germany to
kick off a OER lobby process, i.e. we have started a discussion
concerning the means of getting politics involved into OER. We are
writing a paper that will articulate demands regarding OER at different
educational levels.

There is also an updated OER whitepaper for schools and there is
planning for a whitepaper OER higher ed.

Together with Jan Neumann, I am also writing a OER German blog post
(which is long overdue:-[ )

Best,
Markus

Am 22.08.2014 um 16:05 schrieb Paul Bacsich (Sero):
> Hi all
>
> I feel one has to be a bit careful about statements about OER in Germany. Things seem to be changing fast.
>
> Certainly the initial German response to the UNESCO OER survey work was rather negative, and was reported as that in UNESCO material, which was one reason why Germany did not make it on to our POERUP country study plan when formulated in 2011 and revised in 2012. However it became clear from just before OER14 that things were changing so we commissioned Susanne Friz in Germany to produce an updated report for us with a table of initiatives. The report is at http://poerup.referata.com/wiki/Germany which links to her table at http://poerup.referata.com/w/images/Germany_OER_entities.pdf
> We have not incorporated this data into our database yet but I expect to get the most important ones in Germany done in the next few weeks (there are over 12 other reports to curate also). So the OER Map in the Germany report still looks rather minimal (this uses the same database as our public OER map tool at http://www.poerup.org.uk)
>
> I am also cautious about the comments on German teachers, if some relative comparison is being drawn with teachers in other countries - but it will depend whether we are talking about teachers in K-12 (schools) or lecturers/professors at university. Actually I think (once Susi’s report is taken into account – there is narrative in her main report too) that Germany will have a pretty respectable score for OER initiatives as compared with several other EU and OER countries
>
> If you want to check on other countries our retrieval-focussed map is at http://www.poerup.org.uk
>
> Moreover as one broadens out from OER to open access, Germany is doing pretty well – as you can see from the map version of the standard OpenDOAR service at http://maps.repository66.org/ – 175 entries as I recall.
>
> Paul

Dr. Markus Deimann
FernUniversität in Hagen
Universitätsstr. 33 (KSW)