[Open-education] Open Education Handbook available on Wikibooks

Martin Poulter, Economics Network M.L.Poulter at bristol.ac.uk
Tue Dec 16 16:39:31 UTC 2014

Hi all, this is to announce that the Open Education Handbook has been
copied here:
(save for a couple of images that I've yet to import)
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Open_Education_Handbook

In the process of making the Wikibooks edition, I have identified some
minor errors like typos and broken links. I'm making these publicly
available so that anyone hosting the book on any platform can make the same
fixes:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1un8_aCC6hJjcw_xiQHqEXq7PUas6lPe2bcNDJmsKU44/edit?usp=sharing

As well as corrections, the Wikibooks edition has an in-book search
facility as well as live-export-to PDF or to print-on-demand.

Wikibooks is
* a sister project to Wikipedia. User accounts on WP work on Wikibooks, and
the editing interface is the same.
* quieter than Wikipedia: no problem with trolls or hoaxers
* meant for manuals, how-tos, recipes and textbooks - less constrained than
an encyclopedia
* like all Wikimedia projects, truly free: reusable by anyone for any
purpose under CC-BY-SA and the GNU Free Documentation Licence
* massively multilingual. For example, there is a Portugese Wikibooks at
https://pt.wikibooks.org/
which could potentially host the translated version of the Open Education
Handbook.
* connected to Wikimedia Commons: any of WC's 24 million open-content media
files can be embedded in Wikibooks.

It's worth checking out the Featured books section of Wikibooks, which
already includes books on open educational practice, blended learning,
Library ICT and other topics:
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikibooks:Featured_books

I'd like to do more such imports, not just of books about education, but
suitable open textbooks and reference books. So if I may appeal on behalf
of Wikibooks, we're after:

* Other books/manuals licensed compatibly (CC-BY-SA or CC-BY) that can be
imported.
* Editors/proofreaders : just create an account, read the books and correct
any errors you find.
* Illustrators: find an existing image on Wikimedia Commons to illustrate a
Wikibook page, or upload freely-licensed images to Commons.
* Other communities who want to collaboratively build a book reflecting
current knowledge on any topic (could be a group of students on an
assignment).

NB: Wikibooks content is supposed to be descriptive "how-to", not a
catalogue of web sites. Some OE Handbook sections are mainly links lists,
but I advise against that style.

You can normally get readership stats for any page on Wikibooks by clicking
"View History", then "Statistics", but that feature seems to be down at the
moment.

Hope the community finds this useful,
--
Dr Martin L Poulter