[Open-education] Open Education Handbook available on Wikibooks

Marieke Guy marieke.guy at okfn.org
Tue Dec 16 18:18:05 UTC 2014

Hi Martin,

Thanks so much for your fantastic work moving the handbook!!! I'll post
the content of this email as a blog post so we have an online record we
can refer to.

For info we have recently updated the main handbook page
<http://education.okfn.org/handbook/> to be more like a splash page with
links to different versions and editions. For anyone interested in the
discussions  related to 'forking' a handbook I recommend watching the
community session video
<http://education.okfn.org/see-the-open-education-handbook-fly/> from
last week - the discussion starts about 30 minutes in.

Marieke

On 16/12/2014 16:39, Martin Poulter, Economics Network wrote:
> Hi all, this is to announce that the Open Education Handbook has been
> copied here:
> (save for a couple of images that I've yet to import)
> https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Open_Education_Handbook
>
> In the process of making the Wikibooks edition, I have identified some
> minor errors like typos and broken links. I'm making these publicly
> available so that anyone hosting the book on any platform can make the
> same fixes:
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1un8_aCC6hJjcw_xiQHqEXq7PUas6lPe2bcNDJmsKU44/edit?usp=sharing
>
> As well as corrections, the Wikibooks edition has an in-book search
> facility as well as live-export-to PDF or to print-on-demand.
>
> Wikibooks is
> * a sister project to Wikipedia. User accounts on WP work on
> Wikibooks, and the editing interface is the same.
> * quieter than Wikipedia: no problem with trolls or hoaxers
> * meant for manuals, how-tos, recipes and textbooks - less constrained
> than an encyclopedia
> * like all Wikimedia projects, truly free: reusable by anyone for any
> purpose under CC-BY-SA and the GNU Free Documentation Licence
> * massively multilingual. For example, there is a Portugese Wikibooks
> at https://pt.wikibooks.org/
> which could potentially host the translated version of the Open
> Education Handbook.
> * connected to Wikimedia Commons: any of WC's 24 million open-content
> media files can be embedded in Wikibooks.
>
> It's worth checking out the Featured books section of Wikibooks, which
> already includes books on open educational practice, blended learning,
> Library ICT and other topics:
> https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikibooks:Featured_books
>
> I'd like to do more such imports, not just of books about education,
> but suitable open textbooks and reference books. So if I may appeal on
> behalf of Wikibooks, we're after:
>
> * Other books/manuals licensed compatibly (CC-BY-SA or CC-BY) that can
> be imported.
> * Editors/proofreaders : just create an account, read the books and
> correct any errors you find.
> * Illustrators: find an existing image on Wikimedia Commons to
> illustrate a Wikibook page, or upload freely-licensed images to Commons.
> * Other communities who want to collaboratively build a book
> reflecting current knowledge on any topic (could be a group of
> students on an assignment).
>
> NB: Wikibooks content is supposed to be descriptive "how-to", not a
> catalogue of web sites. Some OE Handbook sections are mainly links
> lists, but I advise against that style.
>
> You can normally get readership stats for any page on Wikibooks by
> clicking "View History", then "Statistics", but that feature seems to
> be down at the moment.
>
> Hope the community finds this useful,
> --
> Dr Martin L Poulter
> http://infobomb.org/

Marieke Guy
Project Coordinator | skype: mariekeguy | tel: 44 (0) 1285 885681 |
@mariekeguy <http://twitter.com/mariekeguy>
Open Education Working Group <http://education.okfn.org/>
Open Knowledge <http://okfn.org/> | @okfn <http://twitter.com/okfn>|
Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/OKFNetwork> | Blog