[Open-education] A map of publicly funded work in the UK for a campaign for open license for publicly funded work

Marieke Guy marieke.guy at okfn.org
Fri Dec 5 10:10:50 UTC 2014

Hi John,

I think the campaign idea is great!

I've spotted your message on a couple of lists and have seen that people
recommend that you start with science and government data.

I'd also take a look at the OpenGLAM space. There are huge amounts of
digital content created that are paid for with tax payers money and yet
still remain inaccessible and without open licences. There are lots of
issues here but the government is warming to the idea of making more
available and to reuse - mainly due to economic incentives. Projects
like Europeana Space (http://www.europeana-space.eu/) and Europeana
Creative (http://pro.europeana.eu/web/europeana-creative) are looking at
making money out of this content. You should be able to engage the
community on the open-glam list.

I'd also agree with the suggestion that I've seen else where that it
maybe necessary to have an opt out case or start with a pilot.

I'm trying to get my head round how this would work in the education
space - tertiary education might be a better space to start than primary
and secondary, but I can think of a lot of challenges to the idea of
"all publicly funded work to be reuseableand shareable by the public".

Anyway - good luck with it all!

Marieke

On 03/12/2014 12:33, John Cummings wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I met the staff at 38 Degrees a couple of months ago to talk about
> online communities. One thing that came up that was surprising to them
> was that government funded works in the UK are not in general
> available under an open license, it got me thinking, why hasn't it
> happened yet?
>

> A stand out factor for me is that while the public good of open
> licensing can be at least in part demonstrated, the general public's
> awareness and want for open license for publicly funded content has
> not been quantified. This could lead to the government seeing open
> licensing as a niche topic pushed by special interest groups, not seen
> as a "vote winner".
>

> I'm exploring the idea of starting a 38 Degrees campaign with both a
> public petition and endorsement by organisations to ask the government
> to mandate open licenses for publicly funded content and data.
> Something like:
>

> Publicly funded work to be reusable and shareable by the public:
>
>  *
>
>     Content to be released under a OGL/CC-BY license or CC0.
>
>  *
>
>     Data to be released under CC0
>

> One thing that would be immensely useful is to understand what content
> and data would be made available if this were to be enacted. Does
> anyone know of any way to find out this information?
>
> A similar project was attempted in Poland but it was challenged by the
> creative sector who saw it as an attempt to steal creators rights, any
> suggestions on how to add a caveat to avoid this would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> I've started a proposal here for anyone interested in reading it, any
> comments or information would be greatly appreciated. If you'd like to
> share this with other lists please do.
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EO4vNPUEfIBIJFUBMWu36_FQRfy5GMiaps9OEQO_AqQ/edit?usp=sharing
>
> Many thanks
> John
>
> --
> *John Cummings - **Wikimedia UK volunteer*
> tweet @mrjohnc
>
> Wikimedia UK is a Charitable Company registered in England and Wales.
> Registered Company No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513.
> Registered Office: 4th Floor, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street,
> London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom.
> Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of a global Wikimedia movement. The
> Wikimedia projects are run by the Wikimedia Foundation (who operate
> Wikipedia, amongst other projects).
> Wikimedia UK is an independent non-profit charity with no legal
> control over Wikipedia nor responsibility for its contents.
>
> Telephone (0044) 207 065 0990.
>
> Visit http://www.wikimedia.org.uk/ and @wikimediauk

Marieke Guy
Project Coordinator | skype: mariekeguy | tel: 44 (0) 1285 885681 |
@mariekeguy <http://twitter.com/mariekeguy>
Open Education Working Group <http://education.okfn.org/>
Open Knowledge <http://okfn.org/> | @okfn <http://twitter.com/okfn>|
Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/OKFNetwork> | Blog