[Open-education] Community Session scheduled (December 11) - Presenting the Open Education Handbook

Mick FM mick at flossmanuals.net
Sat Dec 6 19:16:23 UTC 2014

On 05/12/14 13:30, Marieke Guy wrote:
> A reminder that this session is taking place next week: Thursday
> December 11 at 10.00AM UTC.
>
> We'd really love to have you come along and help us decide what to do
> with the fruits of *your* labour (the open education community help
> build the handbook)!

Hi there,

I'm sorry I can't make this meet but I have a quick suggestion about the
manual.
I would suggest creating a splash page for the manual like this one.
Which offers a quick way to download the book in epub, pdf - and invites
further contributions.
http://collaborative-futures.org/
(Unfortunately, the link there for HTML points to booki.cc which is no
longer maintained. I'll try to find them to ask them to update that link
to here - http://flossmanuals.net/collaborative-futures/ )

In terms of how the HTML pages are presented, a little bit of scripting
could create a themed version of the published manual. What I mean by
this is that some branding of the OKF or the writing project could be
put into the header and footer of each chapter page.

This is how the civicrm community like to do things at
http://book.civicrm.org/ - They write on a booktype platform at
flossmanuals.net - but publish a themed HTML version with their own URL.
They are then able to keep older versions as an archive here.
http://book.civicrm.org/user/version/index.php

Our developer Jo may be able to attend the meeting to explain this a bit
more but I wanted to write this email just in case she cannot attend.

nice one
Mick

Mick Chesterman - mick at flossmanuals.net
mickfuzz [skype]