[Open-education] "Wikipedia Barn Raising" Event July 19

Marieke Guy marieke.guy at okfn.org
Thu Jul 3 21:50:03 UTC 2014

This sounds like a really worthy event Sara and I'm gutted I won't be
able to attend as I'll be travelling back from OKFestival. Great to hear
that you will be allowing remote attendance.

I just wanted to highlight the Open Education Handbook
<http://education.okfn.org/handbook/> that the Open Education Working
Group havebeen creating. It's a a collaboratively written living web
document targeting educational practitioners and the education community
at large. There is loads of quality information about OERs and beyond in
it and it's all openly licensed.

We are currently trying to decide what the next steps for the handbook
are, something I'm planning to explore more at Wikimania in August. If
you (or anyone else) have any thoughts on what might be the best thing
to do with the handbook to ensure it continues to be embedded in the
community and can be built upon then please do let us know.

This is a high priority area for us - once OKFestival is over ;-)

Thanks

Marieke

On 03/07/2014 22:25, Sara Frank Bristow wrote:

> Dear colleagues,
>
> Please join us for a free "Wikipedia Barn Raising" event on Saturday
> July 19th, from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Pacific Time, at the Oakland Impact
> Hub, 2323 Broadway, Oakland, California -- *or online*. Lunch and
> refreshments will be provided for those joining us in person.
>
> Since 2012, we've been working -- with substantial help from many of
> you -- to strengthen Wikipedia's coverage of Open Educational
> Resources (OER) and related topics. We've worked to build a community
> around this goal: at conferences in the field, through our online
> "Writing Wikipedia Articles" (WIKISOO) course, and through the
> formation of WikiProject Open.
>
> At the Barn Raising, we will focus on improving high-priority
> Wikipedia articles about OER, and consider ways to strengthen
> WikiProject Open as a resource for staying connected as the funded
> period of Communicate OER comes to a close.
>
> We welcome online participants from around the world, with
> collaboration tools and scheduled video check-ins.
>
> Registration link:
>
> Barn Raising registration form
> <https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1RgXfFfjo0Zjd1nu1NAX-cDQPmWa8-GWvt59n87JwDvQ/viewform>
>
> Event page:
>
> WikiProject Open Barn Raising
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Open_Barn_Raising_2014>
>

> We hope to see you there, online or in person!
>
> Best regards
>
> Sara Frank Bristow
> Pete Forsyth
> Communicate OER/WikiProject Open
>

> /Communicate OER is funded by the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation/

Marieke Guy
LinkedUp <http://linkedup-project.eu/> Project Community Coordinator |
skype: mariekeguy | tel: 44 (0) 1285 885681 | @mariekeguy
<http://twitter.com/mariekeguy>