[Open-education] Friday Chat: Re: Import Lesson

Mick - FM mick at flossmanuals.net
Fri Jul 4 11:02:53 UTC 2014

On 04/07/14 11:25, Pat Lockley wrote:

> I think (with no evidence but gut instinct) that most reuse is linking

I think you are right. And with this practice comes the massive problem
of link-rot. Especially given the influence of venture capital in the
sector where OER are online for as long at the funding is coming in.
A case in point is coursefork.org - which stopped before it even really
started. You'd be forked if you had put all your OER eggs in that basket.

So linking out to resources on a platform that invites user
contributions with no real commitment to keeping them there is a real
problem.
Data portability should mitigate the problem so users of the platform
can at a minimum archive their own data and upload it somewhere else.
And ideally it encourages reuse /remix.

Also, as a hack, where the licence permits it, we should grab HTML pages
and import them into longer lasting community driven OER repositories
which are in it for the long run. FLOSS manuals is definitely one of
those for Free Software / Culture related materials.

> Kathi Fletcher's OER ePUB editor is based on github too

This work is great, but I agree, it seems a little while before
chalk-face editors are up version control.

I think the more we can make tools for remixing that make it easier like
copy and pasting stuff from one place to the other the better.

If you didn't try it yet try out this grab my books - tool it's pretty good.
http://www.grabmybooks.com/

Also, of course, licences as well as technical formats do effect the
practicalities of moving your course materials.
http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2014/03/18/if-mooc-instructor-moves-who-keeps-intellectual-property-rights

nice one
Mick

Mick Chesterman - mick at flossmanuals.net