[Open-education] Introduction - and information about the EU-funded LACE project

Marieke Guy marieke.guy at okfn.org
Tue Jul 8 12:57:58 UTC 2014

Thanks for the introduction Brian, it's very timely.

The links between learning and analytics is one of the things we'll be
exploring in the Open Education Working group call today
<http://education.okfn.org/fourth-open-education-working-group-call/> at
3pm BST/4pm CEST. We have a talk from Martin Ebner from Technische
Universität Graz - he was suggested as a speaker by Adam Cooper from the
LACE project.

Can I also suggest that people interested in this are take a look at
activity on theLinkedUp Project <http://linkedup-project.eu>.

Thanks

Marieke

On 08/07/2014 13:46, Brian Kelly (UK Web Focus) wrote:

> Hi all
>
>     Although I subscribed to this list shortly after it was set up in
> August 2013 I don't think I got round to introducing myself and
> summarising my areas of work.
>
>     My job title is Innovation Advocate. I'm based at Cetis, the
> Centre for Educational Technology, Interoperability and Standards
> which is located at the University of Bolton.  I previously worked at
> UKOLN, University of Bath from 1996-2013 where I first became involved
> in making use of and promoting open practices, including my UK Web
> Focus blog.
>
>      One of my current areas of work is supporting the EU-funded LACE
> project.  As described on the LACE web site [1]:
>
> /LACE partners are passionate about the opportunities afforded by
> current and future views of learning analytics (LA) and educational
> data mining (EDM) but we are concerned about missed opportunities,
> undesirable consequences of mis-application, investment funding
> failing to realise value, market failure, etc. LACE is our response, a
> project to reduce risk and to increase benefit through an approach
> that accounts for the necessary unity of research, policy and practice.///
>
> We have recently launched the LACE newsletter [2] and are looking to
> encourage others with interests in learning analytics and educational
> data mining to join our community [3]. WE are also providing
> information on learning analytics events [4].
>
> I'd be interested to hear from others on this list who have an
> interest in this area. Clearly open education and learning analytics
> have an overlap (although learning analytics will be relevant to
> closed learning as well!)
>
> Thanks
>
> Brian
>
> References
>
> 1 About LACE, http://www.laceproject.eu/lace/
>
> 2 https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=LACEPROJECT
>
> 3 http://www.laceproject.eu/join-community/
>
> 4 http://lanyrd.com/profile/laceproject/
>
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Brian Kelly, Innovation Advocate, Cetis, University of Bolton, UK
>
> Email: ukwebfocus at gmail.com <mailto:ukwebfocus at gmail.com>
>
> Twitter: @briankelly
>
> Blog: http://ukwebfocus.wordpress.com/
>
> Cetis web site: http://www.cetis.ac.uk/