[Open-education] Open Government Data: Helping Parents to find the Best School for their Kids

Otavio Ritter otavio.ritter at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 13:57:47 UTC 2014

Good debate. My 2 cents in this topic.

Gov open data reflects the actual public policy. It is more neo-liberal or
not depending on the current policy agenda.
If we dont like the agenda, voting is still the official solution to change
our society - unfortunately open data itself will not change this unless
there are some level of pressure by the society by using this openness in
their favor.

Regarding the debate over school performance data versus the best for each
individual child, again the issue is not about open data itself but the
evaluation methods for learning that are used so far. Cognitive or
not-cognitive ? What type of human being we need in our society ? One that
marked 100% in the test or one with high emotional intelligence ? How you
measure the latter ?
The real issue here is to have a national debate over (supported by open
data) of what data should be collected within education assessments.

See this report:
http://www.thersa.org/action-research-centre/current-projects/open-public-services-network/empowering-parents,-improving-accountability

Maybe the point we are missing is that open education data helps a
qualified debate by different actors that otherwise would not have access
to this information restricted to school burocreacies. Then the other
question we need to ask is: these civil groups have sufficient data
literacy to understand and use education open data? What debates open data
is driving in our society ? For instance do teacher unions, governors
associations, local authorities have the skills to use open data to fulfill
their agendas? Or just big data companies, huge media groups and the
government itself?

Openness is call to civic action. They indeed can be used to choose schools
in a quasi-market.
But how they can be used to promote equity ? How they can be used to
advance learning ? How they can be used to foster more collaboration within
school clusters instead of more competition ? The data is there and how it
can be used to defend these agendas?

Kind Regards
Otavio