[Open-education] Open Government Data: Helping Parents to find the Best School for their Kids

Terry Loane terryloane at aol.com
Thu Jun 5 21:44:55 UTC 2014

This has been in interesting discussion, but I wonder if we have skirted
around what may be the most important issue relating to 'open data'
about educational institutions. We have discussed how accessible the
data might be but we have not really talked about how meaningful the
data might be.

Now the spreadsheet can be a really useful tool. But one of the
disadvantages of the invention of the spreadsheet is that it has filled
our lives with boxes into which we are expected to put ticks or numbers.
By doing so it supports a belief that human life can be understood in
terms of ticks and numbers. Yet this view is profoundly unscientific. It
is based on a mechanistic and reductionist scientific model that is at
least 69 years out of date (1945 having seen the publication of Ludwig
von Bertalanffy's 'Zu einer allgemeinen Systemlehre'). Since around that
time scientists have increasingly come to realise that living systems
are 'complex systems', in other words they are not linear and their
behaviour can be neither understood nor predicted by analysing their
component parts numerically. In educational terms 'living systems'
include the human brain, a complete human being and a community of
learners (aka Community of Practice). We just cannot pretend to
understand what is really going on in learning by analysing test
results, exam grades, league tables etc. Everyone in education will pay
lip service to the idea that education involves more than grades, but
the sad reality is that teachers, students and parents are so focused on
the numbers that they have neither the time nor the energy to consider
the bigger picture, the complex reality of real learning. The result is
that education gets dumbed down; it becomes a closed self-referential
simplistic system -- nothing really matters apart from the numbers and
the ticked boxes. Increasing the accessibility of this numerical data
simply serves to take everyone's focus away from the complex reality of
the big picture. That's the danger. That's why, in my view, 'open
educational data' can lead to closed minds. I agree with your
implication, Otavio, in asking the question: "What type of human being
we need in our society ? One that marked 100% in the test or one with
high emotional intelligence?" And I am afraid I can't really agree,
Marieke, that "more data and more eyes on that data can bring us a more
objective perspective". More data does not necessarily equal better
understanding.

Best wishes

Terry