[Open-education] Getty Images allows free embed of 35 million photographs... with what restrictions?

Andre Jaenisch ryunoki at openmailbox.org
Mon Mar 10 08:58:12 UTC 2014

Am 08.03.2014 02:03, schrieb Cable Green:
> Good for Getty for providing free embeds of their images. But there are
> advantages to CC licensed images.
>
> https://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/42278
>
> Sample tweet:
>
>    - Getty Images allows free embed of 35 million photographs. Great!
>    Though compare w/

Ehm, heads up!

Some lawyers have took a closer look to the license
(http://www.gettyimages.com.au/Corporate/LicenseAgreements.aspx) and
tell their readers to be careful when using those images. It's too vague.

Some examples:

1. "relating to events that are newsworthy or of public interest" (see 1.1)

- -> What about bloggers? Do they report information which are "newsworthy
or of public interest"?

2. "Editorial Licensed Material may not be used for any commercial,
promotional, endorsement, advertising or merchandising use." (see 2.3)

- -> Keep in mind, that simply displaying advertisement on your page could
be interpreted as using the site "commcercial" (at least here in Germany …)

3. The order to distribute it through GI's viewer (technically through
an <iframe>). Keep in mind, that you embed third-party-content here.
Hence, advertisement or (if you happen to get malformed data) virusses
can be exposed to your visitors.

There are more concerning points with it. I'd strongly recommend to ask
CreativeCommons' lawyers to have a look at the License before
recommending it further. Will you care for it, Mr. Cable?

Regards

André Jaenisch