[Open-education] Friday Chat: what is openness to you?

Marieke Guy marieke.guy at okfn.org
Fri May 2 13:47:48 UTC 2014

Last week we talked about having a Friday Chat or discussion on the
list. There were quite a few suggestions on how best to do this. I was
out at OER14 early this week (some really great sessions
<http://education.okfn.org/oer14-outwards-and-onwards/>) and have been a
little busy since so haven't had time to look in to any of the more
exciting approaches in detail.

In an attempt to keep things going I've set up an etherpad
<http://new.okfnpad.org/p/Open_Education_Working_Friday_Chats>
[apologies Andre ;-)] and have dropped in some ideas for topics - please
do add more!

Fred suggested we start with "what is openness to you?"

Thinking back, I studied an MSc in Information Management many moons ago
and I remember a discussion we had in the pub after a lecture about the
phrase "knowledge is power". We acknowledged that the phrase is often
used in a very competitive way in the commercial space - for many of us
it brought to mind bankers and trust fund managers - people who deal in
secrecy and competitive advantage. When we dug a bit deeper
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientia_potentia_est> we realised that
the phrase (attributed by many to Francis Bacon - though actually first
used by his secretary Thomas Hobbes) is actually about the value of
education, not about withholding information. Our discussions went on to
consider whether which is the best path to knowledge - openness or
secrecy? I was quite keen on openness...

I see openness as one of the tools that helps us find knowledge. For me
openness is about a freedom that allows us to work together, rather than
in isolation. In places like the UK openness is often a given, in other
countries they have to continually fight for this right. Openness
manifests itself in removal of barriers such as censorship, financial
inequality, the inability to change, racism and other forms of
oppression - it results in transparency and ultimately a better world.

So what about you? ;-)

Marieke

--

Marieke Guy