[Open-education] Open education at the Cetis Conference, 17th & 18th June, University of Bolton

Lorna M Campbell lorna.m.campbell at icloud.com
Thu May 8 08:59:31 UTC 2014

Dear all,

(Apologies for cross posting)

This year's annual Cetis Conference "Building the Digital Institution"  (http://www.cetis.ac.uk/2014-cetis-conference/) takes place at the University of Bolton on the 17th and 18th  of June and, as with previous conferences, there is a strong focus on openness and innovation.  In keeping with that theme we're very lucky to have Phil Richards, Jisc's Chief Innovation Officer and writer, journalist and all round inspiration Audrey Watters presenting our keynotes.

In addition to parallel sessions on open knowledge (Open Knowledge: Wikipedia and Beyond) and open source (Web Services or Cloud, Open Source or outsourced?),  there are two open education sessions:

* Open Education: a New World Order? facilitated by Li Yuan and Stephen Powell
* Open Education: From Open Practice to Open Policy by Lorna M.Campbell and Li Yuan.

In order to make the Open Practice to Open Policy session a little bit more interesting, we’re challenging participants to develop (or not) open education policy for a hypothetical country (we’ll come up with a name later!).  We’ve lined up an eclectic range of speakers who will be presenting their experience of open education practice and policy and arguing for a particular way forward for our new country.  Session participants will be able to discuss and debate the merits (or not) of the proposed approaches and decide on a way forward.  Participants are free to appoint themselves as government ministers, lobbyists, militants, military dictators, etc and speakers may be encouraged to wear national dress.  Li and I will be assuming the roles of Kirsty Wark and Jeremy Paxman ;)

Speakers include:

Paul Booth, North-West OER Network and Manchester Metropolitan University
Suzanne Hardy, Newcastle University
Tore Hoel, Nordic OER and Oslo and Akershus University College of Applied Sciences
David Kernohan, Jisc
Paul Richardson, Jisc RSC Cymru
Joe Wilson, ALT Scotland SIG and SQA

You can register for the Cetis Conference here: http://www.cetis.ac.uk/2014-cetis-conference/registration/  An early bird booking rate of £100 for the full two day conference, plus the conference dinner, is available if you book before the 15th of May.

Hope we can look forward to seeing you in Bolton in June!

All the best
Lorna

-- Lorna M Campbell --
Assistant Director, Cetis