[Open-education] Friday Chat: what is openness to you?

Fred Baker fredwbaker at gmail.com
Sat May 3 00:06:52 UTC 2014

All:

I am enjoying this discussion!

I was formally introduced to the philosophy of openness when I happened
upon a local Linux User’s Group (an informal club where people who are fans
of the Open Source Linux Operating Systems gather). I may have been in my
early twenties at the time and I don’t think I had really ever put much
thought into alternative systems of creating products and services. I
always assumed that companies made things, people bought them, and that was
that. I liked the idea that people could come together and create something
that was aesthetically pleasing and functional, and that it could be
created by volunteers doing what they loved without anyone being forced or
coerced to participate.

I was always interested in the human aspects of openness. When I was
looking for a research topic to study in my doctoral work in Instructional
Design, I eventually landed on openness as I learned more about the many
areas that the philosophy had been applied to. I looked more deeply into
Open Source Software and started seeing how it was being implemented in
higher education in the US. I also learned about the differences that Andre
was referring to.  I saw Open Access research as an interesting alternative
to the standard journal systems, and later found OER, open textbooks, and
similar open content to be interesting as well. One of the more prominent
Instructional Designers in our field, David Wiley, has done a lot of work
in this area. I was also intrigued with how the open concept worked in a
learning environment, especially around the community aspect. When MOOCs
took off and then became exploited, I was really a bit bummed out. I think
this is part of what Darco was referring to when he talked about the term
being inflated. I was happy that the concept was getting attention, but I
was really concerned that the hype was going to give people a bad taste for
the openness. There were also a lot of people proselytizing the concept and
over-proimising it’s benefits without evidence. On top of this, it was
extremely difficult to nail down just what openness was all about at its
core. From a research perspective, this gave me some issues.

I kept digging around and eventually found the open education movement from
the 1960s and 70s, which featured open plan schools, respect for learners
as humans with autonomy, and many of the same issues that are apparent in
todays open movement. I kept digging, and eventually settled on the idea
that openness, at least as it applies to products, systems, and services,
is all about implementing transparency (visibility, access, etc. broadly
within the system or service) and freedom (ownership;the ability and the
right to interact with the various pieces of the system). I went with this
for a good while. I really like it, and I have published a little bit with
these concepts, but my thinking has evolved a bit more through my
dissertation work so that I now think of openness as a more human-centered
concept. I think that really, what openness is all about, is attempting to
design or redesign systems, products, etc. so that they benefit as many
people as possible, without sacrificing the functionality of the original
system or product.

I know that was a long email, but I am passionate about the subject (and I
think you all are as well)!! I will say that I am a good bit more reserved
about openness than a lot of its proponents. I think there is a definite
place for it alongside traditional systems, and I think that it has
absolute benefits, but I don’t think that openness should necessarily be
the standard, nor that it is good in all areas. For me, it is something
that should be practiced, like taking the stairs instead of the elevator
(lift?), but does not imply that we should do away with the dominant system
(the lift). I think this is a response to the power issue that Marieke and
Pat brought up. It can be an ideological topic, but it can also have real
implications for innovating, especially in education.

--
best,

Fredrick W. Baker III

e-mail:      fredwbaker at gmail.com
Phone:      251-281-8517
Skype:       fredwbaker
Twitter:    @FredWBaker
WWW:     FredWBaker.com

University of South Alabama
College of Education
UCOM 3800, Mobile, AL
36688

"You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change
something, build a new model that makes the existing model
obsolete."~Buckminster Fuller