[Open-education] Friday Chat: Open data in education

Marieke Guy marieke.guy at okfn.org
Fri May 9 13:09:49 UTC 2014

Hi Otavio,

Some great questions.

These are definitely the sort of discussions we'd like fed in to the
Open Education Handbook
<http://booktype.okfn.org/open-education-handbook/_draft/_v/1.0/why-write-an-open-education-handbook/>
we are collaboratively writing - see the section on open data - it needs
a lot more work. I tried to sum up some of the current initiatives in a
post on open education data
<http://ukwebfocus.wordpress.com/2014/03/11/guest-post-open-education-data/>.

I can point you to a few posts we've had that start to look at what open
education can achieve:

  * http://education.okfn.org/open-education-holland/ - Alette Baartmans
    talked about activities that Open State has been leading as part of
    the Open Education Data Network.
  * http://education.okfn.org/open-education-tanzania/ - Ben Taylor
    wrote about  Shule.info which uses open education data from the
    Tanzanian government to compare Form Four exam results

There is also the Education Open Data Challenge
<http://theodi.org/education-open-data-challenge-series> from the ODI,
which is competition looking specifically at this area. Is the World
bank SABER Project <http://saber.worldbank.org/index.cfm> doing
something similar to the OECD GPS project?

I'm sure people can point to a lot more activity and debate that's going
on. Long-term I'd like to see some sort of data census (similar to the
Open data index <https://index.okfn.org>) going on.

Marieke

On 09/05/2014 13:06, Otavio Ritter wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> My name is Otavio Ritter and I am a researcher at the Getulio Vargas
> Foundation (an university) in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
>
> I am working on a paper doing a comparative analysis of school open
> data use in England and Brazil and the availability (transparency) of
> government information related to primary/secondary education area.
>
> My intent is to focus on administrative data (including pupil/social
> data) and its externalities: schools (pupil data analysis), parents
> (choice), community (social accountability/active
> engagement), government (policy outcome analysis), innovation (open
> data products, hackathons, civil entrepreneurs).
>
> I would be interested in data-oriented debates like  "where the
> education money goes? what is the cost per pupil?", "what is my school
> quality or outcome?", "Who sponsor academies? With how much public
> money?", "Schools in my area have social stratification?", and other
> examples to foster accountability, better public policy planning and
> evaluation, and analysis within an area that is critical for all
> countries in the world.
>
> For instance Education GPS from OECD is a initial effort to create
> this debate using open data within education.
> http://gpseducation.oecd.org/
>
> I saw that this group has a lot of information and debate about Open
> Education Resource (OER) but I would like to propose the discussion
> about incentives, uses, externalities, unintended consequences of
> publishing/releasing open data in the education system (specially
> within primary/secondary levels).
>
> What say you ?
>
> Best Regards from Brazil!
>
> Otavio Ritter