[Open-education] [Linkedup-public] question about vocabulary on research topics

Stefan Dietze dietze at l3s.de
Wed May 28 15:10:55 UTC 2014

Hi Elena,

from what I can see, there are quite a lot of vocabularies in use,
ranging from home-grown taxonomies to more general ones, down to simple
keywords/terms (unfortunately). It's also hard to nail down "the"
vocabulary, as the vocabularies are often domain-specific. Some
cross-domain ones which might be useful include, for instance, the
UNESCO Thesaurus (http://databases.unesco.org/thesaurus/, available in
SKOS as well), or UMBEL (http://umbel.org/specifications/vocabulary).

Domain-specific examples include for instance the ACM Computing
Classification scheme (http://www.acm.org/about/class/2012, also
available in SKOS) or vocabularies like SNOMED or MESH in the medical
domain.

Hope that helps!

Best,

Stefan