[Open-education] The Quantified Student

Marieke Guy marieke.guy at okfn.org
Thu Sep 18 15:03:00 UTC 2014

Some of you might be interested in this...

Marketplace is running a series on student data "how it's gathered, how
it's used, and, most important, how it is protected".

  * http://www.marketplace.org/topics/world/navigating-data-driven-education
  * http://www.marketplace.org/topics/education/learningcurve/day-life-data-mined-kid
  * http://www.marketplace.org/topics/education/learningcurve/how-student-data-improves-lunch-line
  * http://www.marketplace.org/content/lc-privacy-infographic -
    infographic on quantified student
  * http://www.marketplace.org/topics/education/learningcurve/youre-invited-come-chat-about-studentdata

Amazing claim from Learning company Knewton: "We have five orders of
magnitude more data about you than Google has,"  "We literally have more
data about our students than any company has about anybody else about
anything, and it's not even close."

And quite a lot of this data is being sold: "A study released last year
(in the US) by Fordham Law professor Joel Reidenberg found that very few
school districts explicitly restrict the sale or marketing of student
information in contracts with service providers."

They are also hosting a twitter chat tonight - We're hosting a Twitter
chat - tonight from 5-6 p.m. PST. The hashtag is #studentdata.

Marieke

--

Marieke Guy
LinkedUp <http://linkedup-project.eu/> Project Community Coordinator |