[Open-education] [MyData & Open Data] The Quantified Student

Terry Loane terryloane at aol.com
Thu Sep 18 18:35:16 UTC 2014

The key issue here for me is not one of data confidentiality (although
that is surely important). No, what really concerns me is the fact that
the data-mongers seem to believe that the more data we have about
learners the better we will understand their learning. But this is
simply not true. Human learning is a complex phenomenon (using the word
'complex' in its correct scientific sense), and there has been
increasing awareness among life scientists for at least 70 years that
one can neither understand nor predict the behaviour of complex
phenomena by taking measurements. Being obsessed with measurement and
data is a manifestation of what has been called the 'reductionist myth'.

In the infographic at
http://www.marketplace.org/content/lc-privacy-infographic we read the
following:

/"The idea behind data-driven education is that greater measurement will
lead to better grades, test scores and graduation rates./"

But education should surely be about far more than better grades and
test scores. There is no point at all in a 'grade' unless what is being
graded is worthwhile, and the obsessive focus on grades, scores,
measurement and data stops teachers, parents and students from asking
what constitutes 'worthwhile' in education. What activities are worth
doing and why? These are questions that desperately need addressing when
there is evidence of the harm done to mental capacity and mental health
by chronic stress during adolescence
(http://medicine.buffalo.edu/news_and_events/news.host.html/content/shared/smbs/news/2012/03/yan-adolescents-chronic-stress-126.detail.html).

I believe that we see around us the evidence that a reductionist
data-driven approach to educational performance  leads to a reductionist
hollowed-out (and stressful) educational experience. Do other agree that
as educators we ought to spend more time focusing on our students as
people and less time focusing on our spreadsheets.

Best wishes

Terry Loane