[Open-education] Hewlett Foundation expands open licensing policy to all project-based grantees

Terry Loane terryloane at aol.com
Fri Sep 19 17:30:49 UTC 2014

This is good news Cable - really cheered me on a Friday afternoon.

I would like to imagine that this may be a small step towards large
educational organisations coming to realise that they do not add value
by using copyright law to keep tight (dare I say, paranoid) control over
resources they have created  - no, they add value through the skill,
dedication and professionalism of their staff in the way they use these
resources to teach.

I really admire the Hewlett Foundation for having a website that does
not have 'Copyright ©' at the bottom of each page (although they do,
quite correctly, make their copyright claim clear on their Intellectual
Property Page <http://www.hewlett.org/intellectual-property-policy>). I
wonder which university will be the first to follow their lead. Every
university website I have seen has © at the bottom of each page and the
only ones that also include creative commons logos are the Open
University OpenLearn pages and MIT's Open Courseware pages.

Terry Loane