[Open-education] Friday Chat: Privacy and open education continued...

Lorna M Campbell lorna.m.campbell at icloud.com
Fri Sep 26 11:44:33 UTC 2014

Hi Marieke,

Thanks for kicking off this discussion, these are important issues, that we've yet to fully explore. This might be a bit tangential, but the whole inBloom saga provides a salutary lesson as to why it's important to take privacy concerns seriously.  Audrey Watters charted the rise and fall of inBloom on Hack Education http://hackeducation.com/blog/tag.php?Search_Tag=inbloom  and I also wrote a couple of blog posts about it at the time  http://blogs.cetis.ac.uk/lmc/2013/03/05/another-perspective-on-inbloom/

Cheers
Lorna

On 26 Sep 2014, at 10:44, Marieke Guy wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> There was no Friday chat last week as we were in the middle of an interesting discussion on the quantified student.
>
> The discussion leads into a more general question on how open education and privacy are related. Is it just to do with data? Are there other areas of interception? What about courses? Are there privacy issues related to open educational practices?
>
> It's not an area I can find much on. For a starter I wondered if we could crowd source some useful resources related to open education and privacy.
> Any articles related to this area
> Any discussion ideas related to this area
> Any legal acts etc. related to this area
> List of privacy statements for online courses/MOOCs/open education providers etc.
> Any videos on this
> Here's a couple to get us started:
>
> Privacy statements for Open Evidence hub and Open Education Consortium
>
> BC Privacy Laws and Online Technology: Page contains information and resources on the topic of online privacy and the use of educational technologies in British Columbia.
>
> Education week article: Prominent Ed-Tech Players' Data-Privacy Policies Attract Scrutiny
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Marieke
> --
> Marieke Guy