[Open-education] OER15 meetup and Shaking up the Open Education Working Group!

Marieke Guy marieke.guy at okfn.org
Mon Apr 6 09:38:53 UTC 2015

Hi Everyone!

Unfortunately the Open Education Working Group has been pretty quiet
lately. This is partly due to my working on other projects not in the
Open Education space and having less time to spend on 'facilitating' the
community. So many ideas but no time to implement them!! :-(

However this is a community working group and shouldn't just be driven
by me! Our mailing list has 378 global members, we also have 1177
Twitter followers! We've now had 20 blog posts from around the world and
quite a lot of WG calls - so there are lots of people interested in
being involved.

It would be fantastic if others could take a more active role in the
group. It's great to hear about members initiatives and projects, but
we'd also love to see more collaboration and discussions going on, and
more leadership of the group from the community. Maybe even someone else
being the group co-ordinator! I actually have a very long list of
possible roles and jobs that I'd be happy to share with people.

*So what do you think should happen to the group? What role could it
play? What space could it fill? How could we get others involved? Why is
it other groups in this space continue to be active and yet we aren't so
active? Does this type of group actually work? How can we better
distribute the responsibility for the group? Can we align it to other
projects so they use it as their dissemination outlet? Where do we go
from here? How can I make this distribution of responsibility happen?*

The Open Education Working Group (me) will be at OER15
<https://oer15.oerconf.org/> presenting a poster on the Open Education
Handbook
<https://oer15.oerconf.org/sessions/the-open-education-handbook-681/>.
It would be great to meet up with members of the working group to
discuss ideas for the future. If you are interested in meeting up email
me or tweet me (@mariekeguy <https://twitter.com/mariekeguy>) and we can
hijack one of the coffee breaks (I'm thinking Tuesday 4- 4:30 or
Wednesday 11 - 11:30). I'll send a email & tweet out with advance
warning and people can meet by the Open Education Handbook poster. We
can even do a cheeky group photo ;-)

It would be so great to catch up with people!!

Thanks

Marieke
--

Marieke Guy
Project Coordinator | skype: mariekeguy | tel: 44 (0) 1285 885681 |