[Open-education] Open policies for MOOCs

Atenas, Javiera j.atenas at ucl.ac.uk
Fri Dec 11 12:47:22 UTC 2015

Dear all,

Thank you so much for your responses and for sharing your ideas, I do agree with Terry, Pat and co that the problem is the real openness of MOOCs, that's why we need to think about open policies for opening up MOOCs, as lots of these courses made in proprietary platforms and with copyrighted materials.

I wrote a paper a while ago about this issue (http://journals.uoc.edu/index.php/rusc/article/view/v12n1-atenas) however, and despite the efforts of many OEP advocates, Universities are signing contracts and partnership to provide MOOCs with companies that retain the rights of use of the content and charge a lot of money to host them (as course design is normally managed - paid by the universities with little support from the providers).

I think with worth a discussion, maybe via OKFN-EDU we can arrange a webinar early next year as it would be interesting to collectively develop a "template"  for policies with common guidelines regarding openness of content and code used in MOOCs for future development. In the case of the Chilean university I'm supporting in developing their openly licensed MOOCs they will be using OpenEdx which might have less restrictive conditions but still need to study a lot, that's why all your comments, ideas or stories in MOOCs development are gold to me.

Have a lovely weekend
Javiera

Dr. Javiera Atenas
HEA Fellow