[Open-education] Open Culture and Bridging “Open Silos”

Marieke Guy marieke.guy at okfn.org
Wed Jul 15 09:24:51 UTC 2015

Hi Yaccine,

Yes, it is definitely one of the key links. People may remember the
Making it Matter <http://linkedup-project.eu/making-it-matter-workshop/>
workshop we held last year which pulled together many of these areas.

Here we seem to be going back to that idea of equality - or maybe equity
is a better word here.

I've just read this post: This map of the world’s scientific research is
disturbingly unequal:
http://qz.com/449405/this-map-of-the-worlds-scientific-research-is-disturbingly-unequal/
- which talks about how Open Access "/needs to broaden its focus from
access to knowledge to full participation/" - this could be applied to
many other open movements too.

Openness plays a vital role in the global south where the ability to pay
is more compromised than in the western world.

Marieke

On 14/07/2015 12:59, Yacine Khelladi wrote:

>> So, my question is: Can we build bridges between spheres of agency
>> related to
>> “Openness”? In other words, can we link Open Education, Open
>> Knowledge, Open
>> Access, Open Research, Open Data, Open Governance, and Open Source?
>
> is "open development" the conceptual link?
>
> http://web.idrc.ca/uploads/user-S/12271304441Open_ICT4D_Draft.pdf
> (this is 2008)
>
> http://www.idrc.ca/EN/Resources/Publications/openebooks/541-1/index.html
>
> http://www.worldbank.org/en/topic/opendevelopment/overview
> https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/open-development

Marieke Guy
Project Coordinator | skype: mariekeguy | tel: 44 (0) 1285 885681 |
@mariekeguy <http://twitter.com/mariekeguy>
Open Education Working Group <http://education.okfn.org/>
Open Knowledge <http://okfn.org/> | @okfn <http://twitter.com/okfn>|
Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/OKFNetwork> | Blog