[Open-education] Open Silos - was Re: Open data as OER - Webinar/ working group call today - minutes online

Marieke Guy marieke.guy at okfn.org
Tue Jun 9 10:59:53 UTC 2015

Great follow up post from Lorna Campbell:

Open Silos? Open data and OER
https://lornamcampbell.wordpress.com/2015/06/08/open-silos-open-data-and-oer/

"/Towards the end of the meeting there was an interesting discussion on
the effect of Research Council mandates on open data and open
education. Although open access, open education and open data have all
made significant progress in recent years, there has been a tendency for
these domains to progress in parallel with little sign of convergence.
Research Council mandates may have had a positive impact on open access
and open research data however the connection has yet to be made to open
education and as a result we have ended up with “open silos”.  Indeed
open access mandates may even have a negative impact on open education,
as institutions focus their efforts and resources on meeting these
requirements, rather than on getting their teaching and learning
materials online and sharing open educational resources. / "

Breaking down barriers between open silos is something that will be
explored at OER16: https://oer16.oerconf.org/

Marieke