[Open-education] [open-policy-network] Open licensing vs Exceptions/Limitations

Cameron Neylon cn at cameronneylon.net
Thu May 7 15:44:46 UTC 2015

The simplest argument is that Open Licensing aims to provide global
consistency and maximise the reach of your work. For a user outside of
Chile they are likely to be unaware of, or not confident in their
understanding of, the specific exceptions and limitation in Chilean Law (I
for instance couldn’t give any sensible summary).

If the object is to ensure that Chilean scholarship is part of a global
network of interoperable knowledge and resources then the best way to
achieve that, at least as far as permissions are concerned is through
making it legally interoperable with the largest existing network of
resources that have a common permissions framework. And that is Creative
Commons for creative resources and OSI/FSF approved licenses for software.

This argument is obviously one based on global benefits and reach. So
whether it works depends on the relative balance of the local politics as
to whether the global reach argument or local benefit is seen as most
important. Again, I don’t know the state of copyright law across Latin
America but I would imagine that there is at least an argument to be made
that ensuring compatibility in the region is of value, and rather than
seek regional harmonisation of copyright law and exemptions (which is
hard), it would be easier for the region to settle on common open
licensing strategies (which is relatively easy to implement).

Cheers

Cameron