[Open-education] [open-policy-network] Open licensing vs Exceptions/Limitations

Stephen Downes stephen at downes.ca
Thu May 7 11:19:19 UTC 2015

Hiya all,

My take is this:

First, agree that it is better to have a wide range of exceptions and limitations to copyright enshrined in law, particularly for the non-commercial use of materials. Law that supports the default of sharing, raher than ownership, is the objective of open access advocates.

Second, and having said that, emphasize that a licensing system like Creative Commons is an imperfect but necessary patch for a legal system that worldwide does not support that objective, because:

- the exceptions and limitations in law, like fair use, are often vague and subject to challenge in the courts, which often results in institutions not asserting their rights under these laws; the licenses create certainty and reduce risk for institutions

- laws change, and the use of Creative Commons protects people in their use of these materials even after the laws change, and so are necessary until sharing is entrenched as a general principle under law

- laws are much less open internationally, and some countries (the United States springs to mind) have both regressive legislation and agreesive pursuit of legal action, so the use of Creative Commons protects the use of these materials on a global, not just local, basis.

-- Stephen