[Open-education] World Education Forum and Open Education / OER

Cheryl Hodgkinson-Williams cheryl.hodgkinson-williams at uct.ac.za
Fri May 22 07:51:57 UTC 2015

Dear Bjoern

Thanks for raising the issue of OER in developing countries. The Research on Open Educational Resources for Development (ROER4D)(http://roer4d.org/) project is endeavouring to find out exactly how OER is being adopted or not, in a range of Global South countries in three regions, South America, Sub-Sarahan Africa and Asia. ROER4D comprises 18 sub-projects around seven clusters engaging 86 researchers and associates across sixteen time zones investigating the adoption and impact of Open Educational Resources (OERs) in 26 countries.

We are still in progress, so no data just yet, but you might want to follow our progress on our website or be in contact directly. For a quick overview the current ROER4D Slideshare deck (http://www.slideshare.net/ROER4D) should be a good start.

But to answer your direct question: “Given the global aspirations for Open Education, OER, and CC, is this ok? Should we do more? Is enough being done for primary/secondary education in developing countries regarding ‘open’?”, the answer is no, we need to understand a lot more about what people actually need as OER from the ‘bottom-up’ in terms of content and format. You will be pleased to know that one of the ROER4D Sub-Projects is specifically investigating the impact of the TESSA project under Freda Wolfonden’s leadership.

Regards
Cheryl Hodgkinson-Williams
Principal Investigator of ROER4D