[Open-education] right to education in the global south: meet Mikhail Volchak

Carolina Rossini carolina.rossini at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 14:26:39 UTC 2016

and here my report from a couple of years ago.
the copyright part is still valid, and most of the rest is

On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 10:18 AM, Werner Westermann <
wernerwestermannj at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Mikhail, regards from Chile.
>
> Although not directly related to inhibited access to education due to
> copyrght constraint, I urge you to review and take contact with ROER4D (
> http://roer4d.org/) coordinators at the University of Cape Town, an
> extensive research agenda (more than 25 projects in the same amount of
> countries in SouthEast and Central Asia, Africa and Latin America) of
> adoption and impact of OER use in the Global South (
> http://roer4d.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/ROER4D-
> Infographic-23.3.2015.jpg).  Its been a long work of "open research"
> which it should have outcomes soon, not only reports but open data
> published, for example. It will be a main contribution to OER and Open
> Education research.  The main ROER4D coordinator is Cheryl
> Hodgkinson-Williams, whom I copy.
>
> Best wishes on your work, hopefully it will diminish the existing
> asymmetry of knowledge between developed/underserved countries.
>
> Werner

>> Greetings Open Education Friends:
>>

>> I’d like to introduce Mikhail Volchak. He is a researcher at Essex
>> University (UK) and is a member of Creative Commons Belarus.
>>

>> Mikhail is working on his masters dissertation re: the right to education
>> in the Global South and how traditional copyright is inhibiting access. He
>> is trying to connect with people working on similar topics.
>>
>> Mikhail asked that I forward this note:
>>

>> ---------------
>>

>> I make research about right to education in the global South. The main
>> points it will reveal: (1) what barriers are created by copyright on access
>> to learning material; (2) what tools from international Human Right law can
>> be used for protecting the access and (3) what are pluses and minuses of
>> existing solutions.
>>
>> I would like to communicate with researchers, activists, teachers,
>> librarians from or who works with the issue in developing countries.
>>

>> ----------------
>>

>> I also suggested, to Mikhail, that he might join: http://go-gn.net
>>

>> <http://go-gn.net/>
>>
>> ... and connect with the researchers at: http://roer.cemca.org.in/
>>

>> Thank you for connecting with Mikhail at: fannrm at gmail.com
>>

>> Warmest regards,
>>

>> Cable
>>

>> --
>>
>> Cable Green, PhD
>> Director of Open Education
>> Creative Commons
>> @cgreen <http://twitter.com/cgreen>
>> *retain, reuse, revise, remix, redistribute*
>>
>> *Get Creative Commons Updates http://bit.ly/commonsnews
>> <http://bit.ly/commonsnews>*
>>
>> --

# # #
# • #
# # #
*Carolina Rossini *
Vice President, International Policy and Strategy
+ 1 (617) 697 9389 | skype: carolrossini | @carolinarossini
PGP ID:  0xEC81015C
*PublicKnowledge* | @publicknowledge <https://twitter.com/publicknowledge>
 | www.publicknowledge.org
1818 N St. NW, Suite 410 | Washington, DC 20036