[Open-education] FutureLearn becoming less open?

Terry Loane terry at dawsonloane.co.uk
Tue Feb 28 16:45:20 UTC 2017

Hello colleagues

Below is the text of an email I received today as a FutureLearn student.
I ought to point out that at the moment both "unlimited access to course
content even after the course ends" and "access to tests" are free of
charge (although certificates and statements of participation are not).
So the forthcoming change represents a significant reduction in what is
offered for free. FutureLearn is clearly moving the freemium model up
several notches, and in doing so is becoming significantly less 'open'.
(Of course many may argue, with some justification, that FutureLearn has
never really been an example of open educational resources - but I take
the view that openness is a matter of degree.)

My prediction is that over time FutureLearn will be squeezed even
tighter, offering less material for free and increasing the price of the
paid content. Which reinforces my belief that there is a need for those
of us who champion open educational practice to propose economic models
of learning provision that can work.

Best wishes to all, and sorry for any inconvenience caused by cross-posting

Terry Loane
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

/Hi Terry,//
//
//It looks like you're enrolled on one or more FutureLearn courses that
start on or after 6 March 2017. We want you to know that you will have
the option to upgrade these courses.//
//
//What is upgrading?//
//You can upgrade any course to get a full range of benefits. It costs
between £24 and £69 and for that you’ll get: //
//
//    Unlimited access to course content even after the course ends, for
as long as the course exists on FutureLearn//
//    Access to tests //
//    A Certificate of Achievement or Statement of Participation when
you complete the course.//
//
//Can I still take the course for free?//
//Yes! Don’t worry, you can still take any course for free. You will be
able to access all the content, except for tests, for the duration of
the course plus 14 days - regardless of the day you join. //
////
//What if I join a course after it starts?//
//You will always get access to the course for its duration plus 14 days
- regardless of when you start. So if your course lasts four weeks, but
you join in the third week, you’ll get four weeks plus 14 days from the
day you join. //
////
//Why are we introducing upgrading? //
//We want to give people all over the world access to great learning.
That’s what drives us, and why FutureLearn was created. But producing
courses and maintaining the FutureLearn platform costs our partners and
us a lot. To keep providing great learning to people all over the world,
we need to become financially sustainable - offering upgrading is one of
the ways we can do that. //
////
//Want to know more? Have a look at our FAQs or read our blog post.//
////
//Happy Learning,//
//
//The FutureLearn Team/