[Open-education] OER Digest - June 15th, 2017

OER Digest oerdigest at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 19:47:34 UTC 2017

>From Brady Yano (SPARC) | Volume 33 | June 15, 2017

THE OER DIGEST

Your bi-weekly newsletter for open education updates, opportunities, and
reminders

ONTARIO’S OT LIBRARY: Last week, eCampusOntario announced
<https://www.ecampusontario.ca/news/ecampusontario-announces-open-textbook-library-for-ontario-post-secondary-education>
the launch of a new virtual Open Textbook Library established to offer
students a repository of resources which are licensed to be freely used,
adapted, and distributed. The library will host 180 faculty reviewed OER,
sourced from the BCcampus collection. The Ontario Ministry of Advanced
Education and Skills Development also announced
<https://news.ontario.ca/maesd/en/2017/06/ontario-making-college-and-university-more-affordable-with-free-online-textbooks.html>
$1 million which will be put towards developing new OER.

NE OER SUMMIT RECAP: Earlier this week, the University of Massachusetts
Amherst hosted the first Northeast Regional OER Summit
<https://www.library.umass.edu/services/teaching-and-learning/oer/northeast-oer-summit>.
The main event brought together over 260 attendees from across the
Northeast region (and beyond!) for a day focused on strategies and best
practices for implementing OER on campus. Many of these attendees also
attended an OER Leadership Day the day before. David Wiley of Lumen
Learning and Marilyn Billings of UMass Amherst’s Open Education Initiative
keynoted the event. Follow the conversation on Twitter at #NEOERsummit17
<https://twitter.com/hashtag/NEOERSummit17?src=hash>.

DMAPS UPDATE: The Digital Instructional Materials Acquisition Policies for
States (DMAPS,) an online database
<http://dmaps.setda.org/?fwp_sets=state-educational-tech-plan-bool>,
initially launched by SETDA <http://www.setda.org/>, has recently been
updated. The online database that details states' policies for digital
instruction, shows state-by-state comparisons, which now includes filtering
options such as “Open Educational Resources - Recommended/Endorsed by the
State” and “Open Education Resources Materials Developed by State”. Read
more>>
<http://edscoop.com/education-leaders-dissect-digital-gains-in-districts-states>

OER FOR SPECIAL EDUCATION: The U.S. Department of Education’s Office of
Special Education and Rehabilitative Services has announced a new call for
applications
<https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2017/05/22/2017-10450/applications-for-new-awards-personnel-development-to-improve-services-and-results-for-children-with#citation-2-p23221>
to establish and operate a center that will “design, develop, and
disseminate digital open educational tools and resources to build the
capacity of educators to use practices supported by evidence and improve
results for students with disabilities.”

SAVINGS AT TCC: Tacoma Community College has officially saved students $2
million
<http://thesubtimes.com/2017/06/09/tcc-oer-savings-hits-2-million-mark/>
since to adoption of their Z-Degree Program in 2011! Congratulations to the
team at TCC!

OPEN ED ADVISORS: The Open Education team at BCcampus has just announced
<https://bccampus.ca/2017/06/08/bccampus-welcomes-two-new-open-education-advisors/>
the addition of two new Open Education Advisers, Lucas Wright and Rajiv
Jhangiani! As Open Education Advisors, they will support open education
projects, including the new Zed Cred degrees, OER grants, advocate for open
education in B.C., and work with all B.C. post-secondary institutions to
advance open education initiatives. Congratulations to Lucas and Rajiv!

FINALIST ONCE MORE: For the second year in a row, Curriki
<http://www.curriki.org>, has been named a 2017 SIIA CODiE Award finalist
in the Digital Aggregation & Sharing Solution category. Curriki which hosts
a free library of 265,000+ educator-vetted OER spanning all K-12 subject
areas. The SIIA CODiE Awards are the premier awards for the software and
information industries. Curriki has been honored as one of 160 finalists
across the 34 education technology categories.

THANK YOU TJ BLISS: On behalf of the OER Digest team, we would like to take
a moment to recognize TJ Bliss who as of yesterday has officially concluded
his time at the Hewlett Foundation. Thank you for your support in making
projects like the OER Digest possible, and for your insight shared
<http://www.hewlett.org/qa-tj-bliss-exciting-time-open-educational-resources/>
during your time at Hewlett. We look forward to working with you in your
new capacity at the Wiki Education Foundation!

OPEN CONNECTIONS

Conferences, jobs, and other OER-related opportunities

EVENT: The Rebus Community will be discussing metadata and open textbooks
during their next Office Hours event, taking place on June 28th at 2 EDT.
Click here
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1hyPJvNsbY_j7Z8Qq4VjA9KqzPBJlyrmZoUj4f2_40j0/viewform?ct=t(OH_confirmation_June_56_2_2017)&mc_cid=07de411c22&mc_eid=46ff957ef6&edit_requested=true>
to register.

EVENT: Cengage will be hosting a webcast entitled the Journey to OER on
June 28th at 3 EDT. Click here
<https://vts.inxpo.com/scripts/Server.nxp?LASCmd=AI:4;F:QS!10100&ShowKey=41039%E2%80%8B%E2%80%8B>to
register.

EVENT: Registration for #OpenEd17
<https://twitter.com/hashtag/OpenEd17?src=hash> is now OPEN! The conference
will be taking place Oct 11-13 in Anaheim, CA. Click here
<https://openedconference.org/2017/registration/> to register.

JOB: Open Up Resources is looking for a new Associate to join their team,
based out of New York or Seattle. Click here
<http://openupresources.org/careers/associate/> to view the posting.

OPPORTUNITY: The Hewlett Foundation is looking for your feedback on its OER
Metrics and Targets. All feedback is welcome here
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/17o3jJ2ccg5ayubji019oZtu-OIc7xZ6D5rYl3z673z0/edit?usp=sharing>
.

OPPORTUNITY: The Commonwealth of Learning is looking for your feedback on
its Regional Consultations on Open Educational Resources: Stakeholder
Survey. Click here <https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/rcoer-stakeholdersurvey>
to get started.

RESOURCE: Recordings of the keynotes from the University System of New
Hampshire ATI 2017 have been made available here
<https://at.usnh.edu/ati-2017-keynotes>.

STORIES FROM THE FIELD

A brief snapshot of those making change on the ground level, and those most
impacted

FROM IOWA: “Perhaps to you can relate to the struggle in finding the
‘right’ textbook for your course.  My office bookshelf is littered with my
attempts. The ongoing search for a better book left me frustrated,” says
Kirkwood Community College, Assistant Professor, Emily S. Logan. “The more
frequently I taught the courses, the more I brought in ‘supplemental’
readings, outside of the required textbook.  From these experiences, I
wondered if relying solely on open educational resources, as well as other
non-copyrighted sources, would be a better alternative.” Read more>>
<https://oeratkirkwood.wordpress.com/2017/06/06/leaving-the-textbook-behind/?platform=hootsuite>

FROM UTAH: “Mower, who is an advocate of free open educational resources
(OER), said there was a movement on campus led by librarians to get faculty
to implement OER in their courses, but that many instructors were skeptical
and balked at the idea. “If it hasn’t come through the publishing industry,
it lacks peer review,” Archer recalled some Utah faculty members saying
about OER. Read more>>
<https://www.insidehighered.com/digital-learning/article/2017/06/07/u-utahs-efforts-reduce-textbook-costs>

TWEET OF THE WEEK

TJ Bliss‏ @tjbliss <https://twitter.com/tjbliss>

Well...I just approved my last grant as a #Hewlett
<https://twitter.com/hashtag/Hewlett?src=hash> Program Officer (you're
welcome, @lpetrides <https://twitter.com/lpetrides> @ISKME
<https://twitter.com/iskme>). It's been a great ride, ya'll. #OER
<https://twitter.com/hashtag/OER?src=hash>

SYLLABUS

Interesting Reads Relating to Education and Open

Challenges in Curation: Successfully Integrating Open Educational Resources
in the Classroom | Digital Promise

http://digitalpromise.org/2017/06/08/challenges-curation-successfully-integrating-open-educational-resources-classroom/

>From Open to Action: Open Textbook Summit 2017 | BCcampus

https://bccampus.ca/2017/06/06/from-open-to-action-open-textbook-summit-2017/

OER Researchers Don’t Disaggregate Data on Diverse Students. Here’s Why
They Should | EdSurge

https://www.edsurge.com/news/2017-06-09-oer-researchers-don-t-disaggregate-data-on-diverse-students-here-s-why-they-should

Open Educational Resources Fill Gap for Underserved Students | EdWeek

http://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2017/06/07/open-educational-resources-fill-gap-for-underserved.html

Opening the Framework: Connecting Open Education Practices and Information
Literacy | Open Oregon

http://openoregon.org/opening-the-framework/

Supporting the Full Life-Cycle for OER-Based Lessons is Critically
Important | THE Journal

https://thejournal.com/articles/2017/06/05/supporting-the-full-life-cycle.aspx

UC Irvine Secures Global Partnership with IEEE Computer Society |
MarketWired

http://www.marketwired.com/press-release/uci-division-continuing-education-secures-global-partnership-with-ieee-computer-society-2221892.htm

Have suggestions for the next edition?

Let us know at oerdigest at gmail.com, or tweet us @OERdigest
<https://twitter.com/oerdigest>.

You can subscribe to the OER Digest here
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdsVwP-hgmvxYey_D1QbsKGAitjHhobvW6cX1vHGxSVWuq_sA/viewform>
.