[Open-education] OER Digest - March 23rd, 2017

OER Digest oerdigest at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 01:29:23 UTC 2017

>From Katie Steen (USPIRG) & Brady Yano (SPARC) | Volume 27 | March 23rd,
2017

With help from Erika Aparaka (CCSSO)

THE OER DIGEST

Your bi-weekly newsletter for open education updates, opportunities, and
reminders

HAPPY EARLY OPEN ED WEEK: On behalf of the OER Digest team, we wish
everyone a happy 5th Open Education Week
<https://www.openeducationweek.org/>! Congratulations to everyone on their
successes from this past year and we look forward to celebrating the week
with you both online and in person. Follow all the events by searching
#OpenEducationWk <https://twitter.com/hashtag/OpenEducationWk?src=hash> on
Twitter.

ACRL OER PRECONFERNCE: Yesterday SPARC’s Nicole Allen and Open Textbook
Network’s Sarah Cohen hosted a workshop at the ACRL 2017 Preconference
entitled "Running Effective OER and Open Textbook Initiatives in Your
Academic Library." The event had more than 70 participants in attendance
who left the day long workshop ready to take action on their campuses!
Check out the highlights on Twitter by searching #LibOER
<https://twitter.com/search?q=%23LibOER&src=typd&lang=en> and #acrl2017
<https://twitter.com/hashtag/acrl2017?src=hash>. You can see other OER
sessions happening at ACRL 2017 here.
<http://s4.goeshow.com/acrl/national/2017/conference_schedule.cfm>

RECAP OF OE GLOBAL: OEGlobal 2017 hosted in Cape Town, South Africa March
8th-10th featured over 111 sessions including 80 presentations, 14 action
labs, 7 panel discussions, 1 flipped presentation and 9 poster
presentations. The conference had a global reach with attendees from 38
countries. Presentations from the event are available here
<http://conference.oeconsortium.org/2017/presentations/>.

CANADIAN COLLABORATION: Recognizing the many benefits of collaboration in
this space, Canadian organizations BCcampus and eCampusOntario are coming
together to better support faculty and by extension students in the
province of Ontario. Read more>>
<https://bccampus.ca/2017/03/21/pioneering-open-education-through-collaboration-with-bccampus-and-ecampusontario/>

STATE LEGISLATION UPDATE: A number of bills are moving through state
legislatures across the country related to OER. A bill
<http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?171+sum+HB2262> in Virginia
was sent to the Governor that creates the Online Virginia Network Authority
and requires the reduction of program costs through open access. Another
bill <http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2016/Bills/A5000/4690_I1.HTM> was
recently introduced in New Jersey requiring institutions of higher
education to offer open textbooks.

OPEN CONNECTIONS

Conferences, jobs, and other OER-related opportunities

EVENT: In recognition of Open Education Week, SPARC is hosting a special
webcast entitled “Successful OER Adoption Models: Academic Libraries
Leading the Way” on March 29th from 2-3 EDT.
https://sparcopen.org/event/successful-oer-adoption-models-academic-libraries-leading-way/

EVENT: BCcampus’ webinar series Open Education Stories from across B.C.
continues with its third event, on March 29th, from 10-11 PST.

https://open.bccampus.ca/2017/02/28/webinar-series-open-education-stories-from-across-b-c-unbc/

EVENT: Join Northern Virginia Community College’s Extended Learning
Institute’s virtual conference NOVA Opens Up, March 27 – 31, 2017.

https://www.openeducationweek.org/events/nova-opens-up

JOB: BCcampus is seeking an energetic and collaborative Open Education
Advisor. Deadline to apply is March 29th.
https://bccampus.ca/advisor-open-education/

STORIES FROM THE FIELD

A brief snapshot of those making change on the ground level, and those most
impacted

FROM DC: “The costs of textbooks are unreal,” said Sydney Eskin. “GW is
already interested in this, but it is our responsibility as student leaders
to push it further. A lot of people don’t realize it’s an option.” Eskin
added that while it may take some time to adjust, professors will be able
to adapt and review textbooks for their students. Read more>>
<https://www.gwhatchet.com/2017/02/23/sa-passes-resolution-to-push-alternatives-to-textbooks/>

FROM OKLAHOMA: “This is something I’ve had interest in recently,” SGA
President Johnson said. “People at the library are interested in making
this happen too, so hopefully a pilot program will be happening next year.”
Johnson encouraged senators to contact him if they want to be involved in
his meetings at the library because he will graduate before the program
becomes a reality. “This really is a great cause, so I don’t just want to
see it die when I graduate,” Johnson said. Read more>>
<http://www.ocolly.com/news/article_0450201c-0f7c-11e7-948a-774872e39798.html>

FROM IDAHO: “Advocating for our students is a natural role for librarians,”
says Gaines. “In many cases, faculty members are unaware of just how
expensive the books they select are…or how much of an impact a $200 book
can have on an average student. Open educational resources…[n]ot only
alleviate the financial burden on students but…provide flexibility and
freedom for faculty.” Gaines’s passion for OER combines her belief in open
access (OA) and her commitment to making education more affordable for
all. Read
more>>
<http://lj.libraryjournal.com/2017/03/people/movers-shakers-2017/annie-gaines-movers-shakers-2017-advocates/#_>

TWEET OF THE WEEK

delonger‏ @delonger <https://twitter.com/delonger>  Mar 21
<https://twitter.com/delonger/status/844221869414866948>

Textbook petting zoo today @NMC_library <https://twitter.com/NMC_library>
to show how $$$ books cost.  Using #OER
<https://twitter.com/hashtag/OER?src=hash> NMC faculty have saved student
481K so far! @OpenStax <https://twitter.com/OpenStax>

SYLLABUS

Interesting Reads on Education and Open

Campaign Spotlights Global Open Education Movement | Campus Technology

https://campustechnology.com/articles/2017/03/22/campaign-spotlights-global-open-education-movement.aspx?admgarea=news

Considering OER? Here’s What You Need To Know | eSchool News
http://www.eschoolnews.com/2017/03/10/oer-6-things-know/

Lessons learned in accessibility through the BC Open Textbook Project |
BCcampus

https://open.bccampus.ca/2017/03/08/lessons-learned-in-accessibility-through-the-bc-open-textbook-project/

Open Educational Resources and School Librarians – The Right Fit! | Journal
of the American Association of School Librarians

http://knowledgequest.aasl.org/open-educational-resources-school-librarians-right-fit/

Open Source Textbooks Could Save Students a Bundle | Southern Maryland
Online

http://somd.com/news/headlines/2017/21753.php

Student Senate: Body will discuss opposing proposed textbook initiative |
The Post

http://www.thepostathens.com/article/2017/03/student-senate-propsed-textbook-initiative

Textbooks Could Be History As Schools Switch To Free Online Learning |
philly.com

http://www.philly.com/philly/education/History-books-could-soon-be-history-as-schools-switch-to-free-online-learning.html

What Trump’s Budget Outline Would Mean for Higher Ed | The Chronicle of
Higher Education

http://www.chronicle.com/article/What-Trump-s-Budget-Outline/239511

USG’s textbook resolution passes in University Senate | thelantern

http://thelantern.com/2017/03/usgs-textbook-resolution-passes-in-university-senate/

Have suggestions for the next edition?

Let us know at oerdigest at gmail.com, or tweet us @OERdigest
<https://twitter.com/oerdigest>.

You can subscribe to the OER Digest here
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdsVwP-hgmvxYey_D1QbsKGAitjHhobvW6cX1vHGxSVWuq_sA/viewform>
.