[Open-education] [LibOER] Article in IHE: Can We Afford Free Textbooks?

Allegra Swift allegra.swift at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 15:19:49 UTC 2017

The author's McGraw-Hill connection that Kathy points out is key. The
"digital learning tools" he is describing bypass the library and directly
connect with the publisher. Students are being forced to pay for content
the library subscribes to. One article supplied but each student pays for
it. In addition, one system I am looking at (marketed directly to faculty)
states that it makes textbook resale a non-issue and forces sale of content
supplied by "thieves." Instead of saving students money, this systems are
forcing students to pay even more and reporting, grades, etc are tied to
the content.

The faculty are unaware of the costs but wooed by the prospects of saving
time in reading, grading and the ease of reports that tell them where
students are struggling earlier so that they can intervene (student
success).

We need OER that is not replicated old tech (print) but including
annotation and reporting features as the faculty want and need.

Allegra Swift
Claremont Colleges