[Open-education] Looking for authors for open textbook on Introduction to Philosophy

Hendricks, Christina christina.hendricks at ubc.ca
Fri Nov 3 22:48:46 UTC 2017

Hello,

The Rebus Community<https://forum.rebus.community/> is looking for contributors to a new open textbook on Introduction to Philosophy. Please excuse cross-posting; we’re trying to get the message out on various email lists!

The book is targeted at 100-level college courses, and is being put together by Christina Hendricks of the University of British Columbia, with the support of The Rebus Community, a non-profit initiative, developing new collaborative models for publishing free/open textbooks and other academic works.

We are seeking faculty interested in contributing to the book. Particularly, we are looking for:

  1.  Chapter authors for the following areas:

     *   Ethics<https://forum.rebus.community/topic/126/ethics-part-ed-george-matthews>

     *   Aesthetics<https://forum.rebus.community/topic/125/aesthetics-part-ed-w-scott-clifton?page=1>

     *   Logic<https://forum.rebus.community/topic/206/logic-part-ed-benjamin-martin>

     *   Social and Political Philosophy<https://forum.rebus.community/topic/210/social-and-political-philosophy-part-ed-douglas-giles>

     *   Metaphysics<https://forum.rebus.community/topic/226/metaphysics-part-ed-adriano-palma>

     *   Philosophy of Religion<https://forum.rebus.community/topic/213/philosophy-of-religion-part-ed-beau-branson>

     *   Philosophy of Mind<https://forum.rebus.community/topic/212/philosophy-of-mind-part-ed-heather-salazar>

We are looking for people with a PhD in philosophy, ideally with teaching experience at the first-year level. PhD students in philosophy may also be considered as authors, or can contribute in other ways to the book.

Interested faculty or PhD students can sign-up using the links above. Each chapter will be around 3000 words. Alternatively, if you would like to write about a section that is not listed, we can discuss the possibility of additions.

You can find more information about the project here: https://forum.rebus.community/topic/204/project-summary

The Rebus Community is looking for forward-thinking academics, students, and citizens to come help us reimagine publishing and its impacts on education.

We are currently working towards releasing the first few parts of the textbook, which will cover core concepts in Western philosophy and other traditions, with faculty joining us from institutions across North America, Africa, and Europe. The book will be freely available to students and faculty and openly licensed to enable reuse.

Please contact Zoe Wake Hyde<mailto:%20zoe at rebus.community> or Apurva Ashok<mailto:%20apurva at rebus.foundation> if you have any questions about this project or the Rebus Community. Alternatively, you can contact the general editor for the book Christina Hendricks: christina.hendricks at ubc.ca<mailto:christina.hendricks at ubc.ca>.

Best,

Christina Hendricks

Christina Hendricks
Professor of Teaching, Philosophy
University of British Columbia-Vancouver
http://philosophy.ubc.ca

Deputy Academic Director
Centre for Teaching, Learning & Technology
http://ctlt.ubc.ca

Website: http://chendricks.org
Blog: http://blogs.ubc.ca/chendricks
Email: christina.hendricks at ubc.ca<mailto:christina.hendricks at ubc.ca>