[Open-education] Creative Commons’ Global Network: How We’re Growing + Invitation to Join!

Cable Green cable at creativecommons.org
Mon Feb 26 17:20:55 UTC 2018

*Greetings Open Education Friends: Creative Commons (CC) has publicly
opened the doors to our renewed Creative Commons Global Network. It’s the
result of a two-year process that was initiated, driven, and designed by
CC’s international communities. We’re very proud of our work together, and
we’re looking forward to inviting a broader community to join us in new
ways, from international groups for collaboration on topics like open
education and copyright reform, to our upcoming Summit, to governance and
leadership.There’s no single recipe for success to have impact on a global
scale. Our research showed that a strong CC network needs to make clear
paths for engagement, create opportunities for new people to join and
contribute, and offer opportunities to influence priorities and decisions.
Starting today, we are offering new ways of getting more involved with
Creative Commons and its community. - Network Platforms. Platforms
<https://github.com/creativecommons/network-platforms> are the way we work
together. They are working groups that will create and communicate
strategic collaboration to have a worldwide impact. The platforms are open
to anyone willing to contribute and develop usable, vibrant and
collaborative global Commons. - You are all invited to join the
international CC Open Education Platform
<https://creativecommons.org/2017/09/05/invitation-join-cc-open-education-platform>,
which already has over 690 members! - CC Global Summit. The CC Global
Summit <https://summit.creativecommons.org/> is now an annual event. This
year, over 70% of our scholarship funding supported participation from the
global south. The Summit provides leaders, stakeholders, and the broader
open web community an opportunity to drive the open movement forward,
cross-pollinate ideas and expertise, and expand our impact. This year’s
event will focus on empowering new contributors to get involved and have
impact. You’re invited to join us in Toronto this April. We expect we’ll
sell out. - CC Network Membership. We have created a membership model for
those interested in formally participating in the decision-making and
governance of the CC network. Membership is not required for participation
in CC projects, and it is only open to those with a track record as an
active contributor to the CC movement that supports the Network Charter
<https://creativecommons.org/network/charter/>. If you’re new to this
community, we welcome you, and encourage you to spend time contributing in
platforms or even to attend summit, and get to know our movement better.
Members are organized nationally into chapters (e.g., CC New Zealand, CC El
Salvador, CC Canada). Individuals and institutions can apply here.
<https://network.creativecommons.org/>During the upcoming weeks, teams will
start to establish their Creative Commons Chapters and organize locally for
community actions at local and national scale. By the middle of 2018, we
will host the first meeting of the CC Global Network Council, made up of
delegates from each country chapter, the main body for international
network governance.The new CC Global Network is the product of our
community, and we are excited to join with you in increased participation
and enhancement of the Commons.With gratitude,Cable*

Cable Green, PhD
Director of Open Education
Creative Commons