[Open-education] [OER-advocacy] Re: MEC Brazil publishes an ordinance for OER!!!

Cable Green cable at creativecommons.org
Tue May 22 18:35:27 UTC 2018

+1 - Congratulations!

This is a huge win ... and a policy roadmap for other countries to follow.

Love Melissa's idea of you writing a blog post about this success and the
work leading up to this new open education policy.

Please do let us know if you do - so we can all help amplify the good news.
If you'd like, you can publish it on the Creative Commons blog... or we can
republish your CC licensed post and link to the original.

Thanks to everyone who did the hard work which led to this success!

Cable

On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 2:31 PM, Carolina Rossini <
carolina.rossini at gmail.com> wrote:

> Agree 100%, Hal!
>
> On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 12:26 PM Hal Plotkin <hplotkin at plotkin.com> wrote:
>
>> I want to add my congratulations to Priscilla and Debora (and to
>> Carolina, who started the push in Brazil and mentored Priscilla, Debora and
>> others).  This is a huge win in a very important place. The lesson here is
>> that the hard work of policy advocacy can pay off when leaders refuse to
>> give up.  Some may not be aware that Priscilla and Debora persevered even
>> after they lost foundation support, which is always understandably limited.
>> Instead, they raised money from local sources to produce a policy
>> guidebook, ran a crowdfunding effort, and turned over every rock they could
>> find to keep up their campaign. On the three occasions they invited me to
>> Brazil they used every moment we had available, conducting back to back
>> meetings with legislators, influencers, local activists, hackers, you name
>> it. Priscilla and Debora were everywhere.  They even arranged an
>> opportunity for me to address Brazil’s House of Representatives, with
>> dozens of senior legislators in attendance. I still marvel that they pulled
>> that off.
>>

>> Bravo to Priscilla Gonsales and Debora Sebriam!  They are two of the most
>> remarkable OER leaders I have had the privilege to call friends. Millions
>> will benefit because of their hard work and dedication.  They have set an
>> example that is a model for us all and they have my everlasting respect,
>> appreciation and admiration.
>>

>> Hal
>>

>> Hal Plotkin

Cable Green, PhD
Director of Open Education
Creative Commons

   - Join: CC Open Education Platform
   <https://creativecommons.org/2017/09/05/invitation-join-cc-open-education-platform/>
   - Tw: @cgreen <http://twitter.com/cgreen>
   - CC has thrown the doors open to a broader, more inclusive, more
   engaged Global Network. Get involved today.
   <https://network.creativecommons.org/get-involved/>