[Open-education] Infrastructure for K-12 Public Textbooks

Werner Westermann wernerwestermannj at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 15:05:07 UTC 2019

Dear all, best wishes.

The ROER4D project (http://roer4d.org/) in its delivery proposed an
"optimal Open Education cycle", a sort of ideal proccess that integrates
three big phases that the 5 R's or open practices permit in a virtious
iteration cycle for incremental development and quality assurance:
[image: imagen.png]

I think its a great sysnthesis of OER's maturity progress, and it sets the
ideal to look up to and move forward.  I've been wondering and trying to
ground this optimal cycle, thinking about the infrastructure needed to
support it.  This grounding excercise has been focused on K-12 public
textbooks programs, alongside adult-longlife learning courseware, are the
major public investments in educational resources.  There is an urgent need
to transform the K-12 public textbook policy in my country, Chile, where
openness can largely influence for the better. A mainstreaming opportunity
for OER?  Would you agree?

What's your feel about the state-of-art of an open textbook infrastructure
that can support an "optimal Open Education cycle" of its
content/resources?  What are the missing building blocks of today's choices
of infrastructure?  What are the major challenges or imperatives (we must
do...) to be uptaken?  How to steward different type of content/resources
to be integrated the production and delivery of textbooks?  How to manage
and integrate the adaptation and new versions the content/resources?

I know there's a lot of questions here and a lot to talk about, but if you
would to recommend how to deploy a public K-12 textbook strategy based on
openly licensed content to create, adapt and use OER and OEP, from the
infrastructure side, which way would you go?  Collaboration creation
ecosystem the wiki-way?  Or delivery product web based Pressbooks?
Community-based REBUS (Pressbooks extended)?  Or web-based personalized
teacher centered hubs like OERCommons, CK-12, PanOpen? (these are very
unfair generalizations and there are many other endeavours, just to spark
the discussion)

And you are right!!!, infrastructure, in the context of capacity-building,
is just the beginning of long story that also needs many other components
to be tackled, like inclusion-equity, quality assurance, sustainability,
collaboration, and surely, many others.  Hopefuly we can further discuss
here all these issues.

Thanks for sharing,

Werner Westermann