[Open-education] The Open Science MOOC community passes 500 members

Jonathan Tennant info at opensciencemooc.eu
Wed Mar 6 17:05:47 UTC 2019

Hi everyone,

With apologies for cross-posting, but we have a little milestone to celebrate.

Today, the first module of the Open Science MOOC, on Open Research Software and Open Source, passed 500 members! People from more than a dozen different countries have also already finished the module and earned their certificate of completion. As well as that, more than 120 tasks have been completed, with folks learning cool skills like how to setup and create a welcoming community around a GitHub project, indexing such projects in Zenodo, and integrating Git into an RStudio workflow.

We would like to extend our thanks and gratitude to everyone who has helped by either sharing information about the MOOC, joining the active community, or cheerleading for us. We are incredibly proud of the community at this early stage in our development, and excited for the future. Especially as we are super close to launching the next module on Open Principles. Stay tuned..

For now, don't forget that the course is totally free to join (here https://eliademy.com/catalog/oer/module-5-open-research-software-and-open-source.html), and all content is re-usable on or off the platform, so you don't even have to enroll if you want to use or share the materials elsewhere. We welcome people from all backgrounds to join us, irrespective of your knowledge or experience with open source, and also have an open Slack group if you want to come along and just have a chit-chat about all things open: https://osmooc.herokuapp.com/

Best, and to an open future,

Jon